Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: December Entry: Xperemiante

Post December Entry: Xperemiante

I figured I may as well join the fray since I'm working on something of the right size anyway. This started as an experiment and continues as such but somewhere along the way I realized I was inspired to attempt it because of the challenge that is going on. Although I don't feel like I can win this I do want to support all you guys who inspired me. The more that enter the merrier it goes, more votes, etc. So, even when not trying to be this place continues to fire up my creative juices. Thanks again everyone. Plus, while I think there is little chance of my finishing this based on what I have going on for the next week I figure that by joining the challenge it will help motivate me to at least try to finish it.

I'm also still trying to figure out ways to make things mesh in this style so I'm all ears if you have anything good to share

There is a wip in the Regional threads but this is where I will attempt to complete it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	31738  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 12-26-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: missing link
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

Jax,

The thing that leaps out at me is that the variation in ocean color doesn't seem to interact with the land masses. I naturally interpret lighter shades of blue as shallower water, and I expect to see shallower water concentrated around land masses forming continental shelves. I know you aren't trying for a literal style, but departures from orthodoxy should be self-explanatory. I'm not thinking along the lines of the contest--the kind of change I'm suggesting is fundamental and may not be simple depending on how you created your land masses.

However you created your land masses, they came out very interesting, with lots of scatter and plenty of lakes. I like it.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The mountains are getting there Jax I still love the forests and overall landmass look maybe you could try some kind of shading around the edge of them All in all I love this map !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I see what Immolate's getting at; the way you have the oceans set up now makes the land look like it's floating. It's very pretty (and cool looking) but it doesn't seem 'natural' to me.

I hadn't done anything really with the ocean but I sure see what you mean. In that respect I sort of wish I had started with it in mind. Since I didn't I will just do the best I can with it. I think Imm said it best when he didn't think there would be an easy way.

So here is the latest.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	66 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	31755  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Blog Entries

What you've done helps a lot Jax. Since you're not going for a literalist approach, it ties in well with the other elements.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Thanks Imm. My wife liked it but to me it's a bit too electric. I was playing around with the color of the Ocean a bit more. Not sure which direction to go with here but I like the chocolate looking one for my wallpaper...it's nice on the eyes.

Brown Sea & little less electric blue versions. Undecided on which I like best but I'm going to move on with other things for a bit. (these are scaled down to fit my desktop 1920 x 1080 or as close as can be)

Views:	64 
Size:	368.9 KB 
ID:	31756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sample1.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	31757  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the blue one much better, for what it's worth...

More updates - started on labels and painted a flaming sword I am thinking of using for my North indicator. Borders are on but I'm not sure if I like the style. I may want to just go to a line. Also there are a bunch of location icons for Towns, castles, barbarians and Pirates of course - Arrrg!

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	75 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	31781  

As much as I like how my flaming sword came out I just don't think it works that well with this map. I'll save it for another one. I made a Compass Rose that I think is much better. Also (the part I don't like) I added more labels. Labels are an aspect I'm still getting down. I hope they get easier because they are kind of a hassle right now.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	63 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	31821  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast