Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Apocalyptic Campaign Planning Map WIPs

Map Post Apocalyptic Campaign Planning Map WIPs

'llo folks. Thought I would post the last couple of maps I've been working on for some C&C. The fantasy game I've been running for the last three years is finally drawing to a close, and I'm toying with the idea of running a post apocalyptic themed game next, for a change of pace. Still in the planning stages at the moment, so I thought I'd start with a general overland area map and a more detailed map of the PC start area I have in mind before I get cracking on all that writing that needs to be done. Fun now, work later.
    The overland map is meant to be a bit sparse, if I use it, it'll be as a handout for the PCs to make notations and mark points of interest outside of the major pre-labeled settlements and landmarks.
    I think I may have gotten a little carried away on the scrub grass in the Jakob's Cross map, but I did have an awfully good time drawing that giant fiberglass peach wrapped in christmas lights mounted on the roof of the local brothel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jakob's Cross.jpg 
Views:	1263 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	31760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EsperanzaNuevaBasin.jpg 
Views:	966 
Size:	780.9 KB 
ID:	31761

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Nice job. looking forward to seeing more maps and ideas posted.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far. Not a big fan of the font, doesn't feel 'post-apocalyptic-y'.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yep. Loves me some P-A and those are nice maps indeed. Agree with SG about the font though. If you're using CS4 as your info indicates I think you'll have access to a font that I believe is called "AR Decode"...it's one of the ones at the top of the font list if that's not the name. I think that one makes a nice P-A font. barring that, there are quite a lot of "grunge" fonts out there on the free font sites that would do nicely.

Would love to hear more about your campaign when you work it up. I'm getting ready to run the old Gamma World 1st edition module Famine in Far-Go on the 10th (here's a map I remade). We're also going to try out the new "D&D" Gamma World - it's light and fluffy but it does sort of maintain that old-school gonzo feel that the first edition had. I personally like a grittier feel to my P-A...we're talking "The Road" and "The Day After" and "Threads" here, but not everyone has the stomach for that so I settle!

Good luck with it!
    M

Very nice maps. I wish I could make a mountain like that but so far in Gimp it seems to elude me.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I've never played the previous editions of Gamma World, but I picked up the last boxed set Wizards put out a few months ago. My group had a good time with it, but the system didn't really seem right for a longer-term campaign. It's fun, but I agree with you - looking for something a bit darker for a longer term campaign. d20 Darwin's World seems like a good fit, rules-wise, and I'm busy concocting a world. Trying out an Obsidian Portal wiki to help me with the world-building. I'll put a link up once I get it a bit more fleshed out, for anyone interested in a wall o' text.

And yeah, I can see the font complaint. I think the one I was using, Blackadder, has more of a 'Western' vibe, than I was going for anyhow. I was trying to get away from my personal standby for fantasy mapping, Caslon Antique. I love that font, but that is probably just due to the nostalgia connection of it being all over everything in the Heroquest board game I had when I was a kid. Found one called Postnuclear, appropriately enough. I like it a bit better. Easier to read at any rate. Trimmed out some of the excessive labeling, and then compulsively added some more in different areas.

Name:	Jakob's Cross2.jpg 
Views:	754 
Size:	584.8 KB 
ID:	31777

Thoughts?

Did some more tinkering, bearing in mind that the intent of making these maps was to include them in a batch of handouts for the group. Decided to go a different route, focusing more on the intended ambiance than overwrought PS pseudo-realism. Shooting for gritty here, not cartoony. With that in mind, I tried to make it look more like a battered old daguerreotype photograph with typed and handwritten notations. Taken from a dirigible, of course. I think the intended feel comes across much better.

Name:	Jakob's Cross3.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	581.7 KB 
ID:	31847

Guild Novice

If the map is actually a photo with notations, I'd either get rid of the grid in the background, or make it an overlay (hand drawn, maybe?). Or maybe just hint at a grid with crosses in four corners as if it were a military recon picture (check images of the moon landing to see what I mean with "crosses").

Oh, and I'd hint at perspective with the help of shadows, and then make it greyscale (sepia colour in old photos is a result of the materials used to capture light, and not a result of aging).

Gave the overland map a similar treatment, though less sepia, and more metallic-looking. Not sure which I like better. I see what you mean with the implied grid corner crosses from military recon photos, and I like it. So let it be written, so let it be done. Only a little more fiddling to do with these maps, then I'll move on to a few new ones. Corner crosses, color adjustments, and misc tinkering, and I think I'll leave them alone.

Name:	EsperanzaNuevaBasin2.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	428.5 KB 
ID:	31872

I really like where you're going with these. They'll be great handouts!
    M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast