Thread: "Project Elentyl" A Minecraft Map

Default "Project Elentyl" A Minecraft Map

I'm using a program called World Painter to make my own map in Minecraft. While this is different than most types of cartography it's still a form nonetheless I believe. My ultimate goal here is to finish the map then go into the map via Minecraft with a modpack and make a RPG quest driven game with the various mods available for Minecraft. I will be using Minecraft version 1.7.10 And will be using a modifed version of the HEXXIT Modpack. Understand that this is a HUGE undertaking. Even without a questline of sorts or a story. While it is possible to crank out these maps the truly detailed ones take a while to refine. If anyone here plays Minecraft I hope you enjoy this and for those that do not play it maybe it will inspire you to get it if only to make your own maps this way and/or to bring maps you've already made to life in Minecraft!

I'll try updating this thread every 2 days as I will the sister thread over on MCForums.

I Finally came up with a name with the help of a Sindarin Dictionary.

Elentyl. Derived from elen and tyll which translates to star and islands. If anyone here is as big of a J. R. R. Tolkien as I am, I hope you squeal at the name and how it rolls of the tongue as I did. All criticism is greatly appreciated. Both the good and bad on my map. All input helps.

UPDATE 1 5/12/2017
    I'm sure most of you to see this will have seen some of the early bits and bobbles of it that I have posted over the past few days. Well, here's some screenshots I took today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D13gaY5.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	367.9 KB 
ID:	95652

Name:	PXP2zI2.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	868.0 KB 
ID:	95653
    A plateau that will be home to a dense jungle.

Name:	XfyrhyZ.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	895.6 KB 
ID:	95654
    Program glitched and did this Z-Fighting. Gonna keep it and make it into an Enchanted Forest via the Twilight Forest Mod and place a village on the larger landmass. Not quite sure what to call it yet. Open to suggestions!!!

Name:	yLjODtX.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	519.6 KB 
ID:	95655

Name:	D0z3yjF.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	797.6 KB 
ID:	95656
    Not quite sure what I'm doing with this yet but as I want to ultimately toss in some kind of backstory/questline I need something that be said to be created by {insert generic reason/being here}(What'd you expect possible spoilers? HA!) I may over time make it into a valley and add pockets of lava instead of a lava sea as it is now.

Name:	9y90qOI.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	958.0 KB 
ID:	95657
    And finally I managed to get this super cool Glacial Valley formation between some mountains.

Name:	0biFnH6.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	138.6 KB 
ID:	95658

###End Update###
    Last edited by CanAbyssKahn; 05-13-2017 at 04:35 PM.

I messed up the thread name /= Can an admin change it to ' "Project Elentyl" A Minecraft Map ' please

It looks good so far, I've used world painter before so I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Updated the title for you.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

WorldPainter, you say, hmm? The rest of it is all sort of beyond me... but I really love that 3d view feature. That last picture is beautiful. Will have to go check it out. Best of luck with the project!

Also... very much like the name

Name:	16Xhsw9.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	95678
    Just a quick update. finished off the land structure on the future site of the forest/jungle plateau. Have a picture from within Minecraft of the bare terrain.
    Wanna Try World Painter? Maybe You Already have? Here's my little cheat sheet/stater guide for World Painter. Enjoy

Wip Elentyl UPDATE 2! Hell Archipelago

Hell Archipelago update 5/13/17

So I wanted to tweak whatever this is becoming.

Name:	1.png 
Views:	27 
Size:	714.8 KB 
ID:	95687
    I have changed the terrain to the nether. I plan on making my own ground layer rather than using the nether ground layer except for 2 areas which we will cover in just a second. As you can see on the picture above it has a black circle which indicates where "humanity" will have a city. The white circles are various places you can build orc, fantasy evil, something from D&D, whatever imaginable. The grey circle and line indicates the path carved out for entry in and out of the settlement. I'm going to add an air-block force-field & use a mod to prevent mob spawns and Ghast fireballings of the buildings in the area later on. Since this place is "evil" I used the Fire Swamp Biome to give the water the dark discoloration as if the evil/malice is spreading.

Name:	5WCFT54.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	532.3 KB 
ID:	95688

Location of the Black Circle.

Name:	7WRaITS.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	818.0 KB 
ID:	95689

Black Circle and Grey Line Outlining path from ocean to settlement location.

Name:	hh3FKim.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	157.2 KB 
ID:	95690

Water Discolorations.

Name:	KAJPf0V.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	95691

Name:	v4xBz1c.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	95693

Grey Circle where a harbor of sorts shall be built.

Name:	wnsUaDE.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	95692

Middle White Circle where an orc or whatever camp/city can be built

Name:	RRi3Nre.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	95694
    ###End Update###
    Note: Screenshots taken in game. Not 3D Render feature within World Painter

PSS: Not sure if this is technically an archipelago because they are all connected but.... The official name is still a WIP so work with me here!

Last edited by CanAbyssKahn; 05-14-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    Wanna Try World Painter? Maybe You Already have? Here's my little cheat sheet/stater guide for World Painter. Enjoy

Name:	EiS5z1C.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	95717
    Used Basalt Cobble, Tephra, and Netherrack and applied a "Hell Cliffs" layer to anything steeper than a 56° angle. Added random hellish spikes to the lava as well. Also, changed the discolorations within the water to make them more frequent & randomish.

Name:	MLWq37B.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	95718
    May end up lowering the lava layer a bit unsure, but what do you guys/gals think so far?
    Last edited by CanAbyssKahn; 05-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.

Moving the project over to PMC. 6/9/17
    Last edited by CanAbyssKahn; 06-09-2017 at 07:31 PM.