Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self-introducing RPG enthusiast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Self-introducing RPG enthusiast

Hi there everybody.

My name is Paolo, I'm 33, I'm from the north of Italy and I stumbled in this site while searching for a way to get a fantasy map laid down for an home-brew RPG campaign setting.
    I'm the sort of guy that has strong visions but no clear ideas (but much more I don't have much time for timekillers, since I'm freelancing all day) and I was in search for resources on how to spring an initial "fractal world map" to let my fantasy run back and forth in search for the right inspiration.

After a look at some of your works I realised that the best choice could be to ask for some collaboration (or paid service, if this applies here) in this, since my hopes to become a skilled map-maker collide with my very lack of time: time that I should better use to think about my fantasy setting so that my players could enjoy it in our weekly sessions.

In the meantime I'll try to learn as much as possible from you masters. I'm not completely unaware when it comes to graphics, since I made a living out of web design since some year ago (I'm now a web developer, not touching graphics anymore) but still I saw real masterpieces here!
    Maybe I could give something back at some extent... we'll see.

Many thanks to all.

Guild Novice

Well, I can "donate" a scratch map to your honorable cause (result of a tutorial on this website: the Salderan one, to be exact).

It's not much, and I'd rework it, but I'm busy with maps for my own world-building effort.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorial.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	31854
    (License: CC-BY-SA-3.0-Germany*)

P.S.: If you want, I'll happily send you a PM containing a link to the (CS5) PSD file.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome To The Guild I'm sure there are more than enough resources here to help you
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

@SchildConstruct: Many, many thanks for your donation! I think I could learn a lot watching your PSD file, but I'm a Linux guy and I'll go with GIMP and InkScape, I think. Moreover I don't think my skills will ever justify the costs for PS licenses! I could try to open your source file with GIMP and see what happens! :-)

Many thanks to all of you guys! Yesterday evening I took a glance to you "Getting started" topic and I discovered a whole world! I'm eager to delve into map making now, just because I don't have enough stuff to do all days... it will be a sloooooow way to go! My experience with graphics dates back to CS2 suite, now that I'm on Linux I have to learn how to use new tools but I'm sure they could do the job!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StickGrinder View Post
    @SchildConstruct: Many, many thanks for your donation! I think I could learn a lot watching your PSD file, but I'm a Linux guy and I'll go with GIMP and InkScape, I think. Moreover I don't think my skills will ever justify the costs for PS licenses! I could try to open your source file with GIMP and see what happens! :-)

Many thanks to all of you guys! Yesterday evening I took a glance to you "Getting started" topic and I discovered a whole world! I'm eager to delve into map making now, just because I don't have enough stuff to do all days... it will be a sloooooow way to go! My experience with graphics dates back to CS2 suite, now that I'm on Linux I have to learn how to use new tools but I'm sure they could do the job!
    Gimp will open .psd files you'll just have to save it as GIMPs .xcf file after your done working on it.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Novice

It's really just an application of Saderan – a tutorial, nothing more. So, it's nothing you couldn't do, either.

You can download the PSD file here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4294562/tutorial.psd

And, TBH, I've switched to GIMP exclusively, since PS' learning curve is a tad too steep. I suggest getting the Layers Effect plugin for GIMP, though.

Anyway, enjoy.

Wow, thanks! I'm downloading your file right away, I'll try to open it in GIMP. This afternoon I made some experiment with GIMP following this tutorial and I've posted my WIP here. Every feedback is welcome! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by SchildConstruct View Post
    And, TBH, I've switched to GIMP exclusively, since PS' learning curve is a tad too steep. I suggest getting the Layers Effect plugin for GIMP, though.
    Thanks for this too! I'm already using Layer Effects even if PS Layer Styles are awesome... But freedom in software is much better (to me) than bleeding edge tools! ;-)
    I've seen Saderan tutorial and I'm stunned. Will try to port it to GIMP if not already done!
    Last edited by StickGrinder; 12-30-2010 at 04:47 PM.

Guild Novice

Thanks for this too! I'm already using Layer Effects even if PS Layer Styles are awesome... But freedom in software is much better (to me) than bleeding edge tools! ;-)
    Mostly, it's the price tag. A 30 day trial just isn't worth the pain of learning another tool.

Though, I might pick up a bit of Inkscape, since GIMP's text tooling is just plain bad.

I've seen Saderan tutorial and I'm stunned. Will try to port it to GIMP if not already done!
    Post 223 in this threat (low 20s, pagewise, IIRC), you'll find that the tutorial has already been ported to GIMP.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast