Thread: Glad to be here

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Post Glad to be here

I joined yesterday and have been lurking today. I've been designing maps [world maps, regional, dungeon and city] since the mid-70s when I first got into D&D. Mostly pencil and paper because I find I can really get what I want down.

I've been using various programs over the past two years, slowly converting my pencil and paper campaign map into a more vivid map. I've also designed one dungeon and a few settlements for my current campaign. I'm sure I'll find a wealth of information here. My biggest bugaboo is getting elevations into my towns/cities as well as outdoor battle maps.

I'm sure I'll figure this out with all of the tutorials here. For my smaller settlements and towns, I've managed to slowly put them together using Fractal Mapper. I also have a novice's experience with Gimp, using that program to design new roofs. However, as my adventurers move onward, they're looking for larger towns and cities. I could painstakingly put cities together over many maps, but I'm intrigued by some of the maps here done by CD3.

I suppose my initial question is, should I buy that software? I'd have to get CC3 also, which isn't too much of a problem.

I also have Dundjinni. Anyone use that or is it too limited?

Dundjinni is ideal for encounter scale maps, but it doesn't do so well as the scale goes up. CD3 can do some amazing work, but it does take some time to learn how to use it, as it is based on CAD software. No matter what software you're using, though, mapping a city can be very time consuming. There have been some recent advancements here in automating it, though, if you do not need to maintain a strict level of detail. I don't remember which threads off the top of my head, but I suspect if you look for threads by Ascension and RobA you might find some good stuff. Ascension works primarily in Photoshop and RobA in Gimp.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome and the city asylum *ahem* I mean design room is down the hall to the right...
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - been working on my "Breakwater" city for a long time now - still placing houses
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Welcome from another newbie!