Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Blandine's Primaterra project

Thanks Rob!

Ravs, you have a PM. Raphael said the original borders weren't correct. My map reflects somewhat rougher borders, though they're still rather too smooth and perfect when they're not following a river.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I am happy with everybody, everything, and in every moment. I will email you now, Ravs!

Quote Originally Posted by blandine View Post
    I am happy with everybody, everything, and in every moment.
    But that's because you live in Brazil where the weather is lovely, the girls are pretty, the mojitos are tall and music makes you dance!

Ravells - There is NOTHING wrong with life in the UK!

Just make sure to mind the gap.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

From Raphael:

The only time we applied a time measure to a place was when we said a character had crossed Faris on foot from the borders of Ivoire to the eastern coast in three moons (that'd be about 75 days). It was a very heroic character, he struggled a lot but might have had ways to do a faster crossing, so that doesn't help much.

So... I'd ask you to pick up that measure. It's not a big world at all (did I tell you it is flat?). Faris could have a Greece size.
    Across flat land, a person could be expected to travel 30 - 40 km in a day. Since Faris has a lot of mountainous terrain, and the character had to struggle, figure on perhaps 15 km per day for this journey. That makes the width of Faris, from the Ivoire border to the eastern coast, about 1125 km. At its widest, from the southernmost island in the archipelago to the Turkish city of Edirne, is about 800 km. That's as the crow flies--measuring across the water.

My current map in CC3 measures that distance at about 680 units. Miraculously, if we assume that measurement is in miles, it falls somewhere between the two measurements given (1094 km).

Bryan, would you mind emailing me the stuff that Raphael has emailed you so far? It'll save on repetition. I'm holding fire until I hear further from Raphael with sketches / more info.

Thanks for the scale information. Can you pop a scale bar on your existing map and post it?

cheers

Ravs

Can do. I've sent the email, and here's the map with a scale bar. It's in miles at the moment, but I'll customize one in "kilorods" for the final version. I've also bumped up the resolution for greater legibility.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	primaterra overland scaled.PNG 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	1994  

About the posted map!

Way to go!! The borders could follow natural borders and be rougher, and I would discard the glowing borders effect for a overall color hue over the territory of the country (if that's possible, of course). Problem is, I believe a "colored political" map wouldn't take rivers and mountains as easily as a more natural map as we are doing. The natural map would be richer, including geographical features and such, and the political map would be more obvious. In case we make a "natural map", I think the borders should be more neutral-colored and discreet, maybe without all those colors. What do you guys think?

I'd like black or a deeper blue for the sea color. A black sea color would fit a "political" map better, while a textured deeper blue map would fit a "realist" map better.

I will myself try to work in a frame that fits the scenario better. The font on the "Scale in Miles" thinglet could also be changed!

I'll soon send more geographical information!!

Thank you very much!!!!!!!!

BTW: Music, check; weather, check; girls, well, my girlfriend is very lovely, so, ok, check; but what are MOJITOS? What are TALL mojitos?

Ahahhah

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast