Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: December/January Challenge " Dead of Night"

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wip December/January Challenge " Dead of Night"

Rog Nenshen knew that the Burneal forest was no where to be at night. It wasn't much safer during the day and here he was with a inexperienced party of adventurers deep in the forest on a cold and windy night. They had made camp in a clearing surrounded by the dark trees and eerie sounds of the forest. Not for the first time during this expedition he wondered how he had allowed himself to be talked into this...

Here we go again...This is set in the Burneal Forest North of my Kingdom of Shendenflar campaign setting which is set in the World of Greyhawk setting. I'm going for a "dark and ominous" feel.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	December January Challenge.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	31880
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

Rog Nenshen Was not happy. The fools hadn't even brought enough tents. Two of them were forced to sleep on bedrolls next to the fire. It made guarding the little camp that much more dangerous. Worse still Nenshen didn't trust them to not fall asleep so he would have to stay up all night on watch. He gripped his trusted and tested broadsword a little tighter as he settled in for a long night...

My first attempts at some handmade elements (not the fire though.. )

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	53 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	31896
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Blog Entries

Wip

The sound of rustling outside of the clearing drew Nenshen's immediate attention. the horse's unease was another indication that something was wrong. He looked at the sleeping figures of his companions and snorted with disgust. They called themselves adventurers but had not the slightest instinct when it came to danger. His sharp reflexes were validated shortly after when two shadowy figures emerged from the edge of the clearing. He would know the shapes anywhere. He drew his bow determined to not let the evil beings any closer to his camp or his party....

Now I realize that I'm NEVER going to win one of these things as long as I keep using premade elements. BUT I've come to realize that overall I CANT DRAW.. Plus I'm really trying to tell a story with all of my work and this seems to be the best way to do that. I'm just going to resign myself to the fact that I'm better at writing than I am at drawing..

*EDIT* aargh where is the grid...?

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	58 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	31899

Finished Maps

Guild Member

Meh. Don't worry about premade elements. I myself am a computer drawing Luddite. I think the end product is much more important than how you got there.

Blog Entries

Wip

Here's the grid...

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	55 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	31901

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

Wip

Four against two that were the odds even if one of the creatures was a orog. Rog Nenshen knew that this encounter should go his way but already one of his companions had been injured by a huge blow from the orog's hammer. "Damn" he thought to himself his bow was having little effect on the thick hide of the twisted creature and it's orc handler was smart enough to stay behind it and use it as a shield. Nenshen drew his sword knowing that the only way they all survived was if the orog did not. He let out a loud cry and attacked...

I think this is mostly done. It would be too easy to "clutter" up the scene with a bunch of objects. I went for a little "ambiance" with this one (big creepy forest, little camp, big scary monsters.. ) And all in all I think I got what I was shooting for..

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	82 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	31938

Finished Maps

I don't like RPGmapshare objects very much

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DEDDESO View Post
    Hmm..not sure what to say to that..I'll admit that this map much like most of my work isn't great. I think I might have a go at redoing this..

Finished Maps

Quote Originally Posted by DEDDESO View Post
    Pointing out that you don't like something without offering any comments that might help to improve it could be considered rude.

I love your trees! Very spooky.

However, in my opinion, the spookiness is kinda lost with the people and objects, since they're so much brighter (and kinda seem to be floating above the ground in a couple of cases). I wonder if making them a bit dirtier looking would help. Maybe have them cast some shadows, too.

Overall, though, I like the scene. Looks like something I've run into in a game....

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast