Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Digitally-Created Map WIP

Wip First Digitally-Created Map WIP

This is my first real try at an entirely digitally created map. I figured this would be a good first project to post on these forums.

This is basically my interpretation/inspiration of the myth of Atlantis before it sank into the sea. Back in the beginning of the world two gods were in conflict. One was defeated and cast into to the sea, becoming the continent of Atlantis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atlantis.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	325.5 KB 
ID:	31060  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Watch your river splitting. If that one in the south is meant to be a delta then you might want to reign it in quite bit and make the branches closer to the coast and that one in the west (the main river is dumping everything into the ocean but it somehow continues on down the beach and empties in another spot). The other rivers look fine as the "branches of the tree" are near the mountains and not the coast. Now you just need to put the rings in the harbor.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the advice. I don't think the deltas work very well anyways because of the scale of this map.

Anyways, here is my attempt at color and textures so far. I'm still working on the other map elements such as forests.

Name:	Atlantis1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	505.7 KB 
ID:	31121  

The colors are nice. Making all the mountains gray does sort of say "all mountains are bare rock from foothills to peaks".

That texture works OK zoomed way out, but up close it isn't a super plausible mountain chain. Stare at some real satellite photography, and zoom in and out on it, to see what you might want to aim for. Of course you don't have to duplicate a2area's incredibly detailed stitching together of real satellite data - many of the satellite-view methods used by the Guild's Masters (and kindly detailed in tutorials) do a good job of suggesting real-ish mountain ranges.

What kind of scale do you have in mind for this?

I was thinking that it's a little smaller than Europe. I probably should be more specific once I start adding the scales, compass rose, etc.
    Anyways, I added forests and a couple more textures as well. I think its turned out pretty good since I haven't done anything like this before. It's all been hand-drawn stuff.
    I'm going to try and start working on the map border and town names next.

Name:	Atlantis2.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	31174  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like the soft bevel you have, looks sort of like one of those puffy stickers but not nearly as obnoxious.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good - not sure about the beveling of the continent - although some coast might raise like that its unlikely all do .. nice coloring and have some rep for your first map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I think the bevelling could just use lowering slightly perhaps. It's looking great though!

Real good first digital attempt. Keep up the good work.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Honestly I think the beveling is fine the way it is.
    Anyways I haven't been working on this lately because of finals at school, but that's all done now so I should be able to post something soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast