Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: December/January Challenge: Ye Olde Generic Campsite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default December/January Challenge: Ye Olde Generic Campsite

Nothing special here, just a generic woody campsite by a brook... Working from the bottom up, so the brook comes first. I'm thinking the trees are going to be stumps, with transparent-y leafiness above them. I still need to touch up the muddiness alongside and under the brook - I don't think the grassy underwater bits really work that well

Hopefully this map gets farther along than my last challenge entry...

###LATEST WIP###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	generic campsite.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	31903  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks like a good start
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Thanks JT Got some more work done on this, I've only just started on the trees. I should have brushed off the stumps before I photographed them, only one was really usable. Oh well, will just have to re-photo them tonight Also need to rotate all those stumps in random directions so they don't look quite so... identical. Guess I'm going to have start on the hard stuff soon... campfire and tents and such. Yuck.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	60 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	31927  

Blog Entries

The stumps look great A little tweak and they will be right on.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Added tents, yay! And leaves! Any thoughts on the trees? Does the transparent deal work or does it just get lost and look like extra green bits?

Still to come: stump randomness, shadows and..... a firepit!

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	61 
Size:	3.49 MB 
ID:	31941  

Blog Entries

I think the trees may be a bit too transparent it looks sort of like another ground texture. If you raise the opacity a little and add some shading to the edges it might do the trick. BTW I love the tents !!

Finished Maps

Thanks JT The tents actually turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. Most of the time spent on them was fiddling with the gradient to make them bright along the top ridge and darker towards the bottom.

I've never really looked at battlemaps before, is it pretty common to have features like trees covering up the actual ground if there's likely to be fighting amongst the trees?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moutarde View Post
    I've never really looked at battlemaps before, is it pretty common to have features like trees covering up the actual ground if there's likely to be fighting amongst the trees?
    Thats a good point I think if there's going to be fighting amongst the trees they would need to be transparent. Guess there won't be any of that going on in my scene...

Finished Maps

Figured I'd try having a sort of transparency gradient on the leaves instead, so they're more transparent around the tree trunk (for sightline and movement concerns) and less transparent around the edges, so that they're more obviously leaves. I still don't feel 100% on it though, but that might also just be the fact that I havn't fixed up the stumps yet.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	84 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	31945  

Blog Entries

I think you've got it right on now gives the feeling of trees without obscuring the ground

Finished Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast