Thread: Traveller Yacht/Courier WIP

Default Traveller Yacht/Courier WIP

So here is my first attempt at a whip. As you can see I am a complete noob when it comes to this.

I'm using GIMP 2.6.10 for windows XP

This is a ship I will be using in my Traveller game. Its a 200 dTon Yacht/Courier. For those that don't know, a "displacement ton" is based on the volume of 1 metric ton of liquid hydrogen; aprox 14 cubic meters or 14 Kiloliters. So the volume of the craft is 2,800 cm/kl.

Any pointers you have to give to make this ship look better, or on how to generate accurate orthos would be greatly appreciated.

Links to GIMP tutorials anywhere on the net are also greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ship.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	30268
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

You might want to put some texturing on the hull (good tutorial here - it's for photoshop but I'm sure you could adapt for Gimp) and other greebles on the ship to give it some interest? Maybe some decals too?

Depends on the look you want, but I've always preferred a slightly more battered and grungy look to something really clean. For some inspiration, take a look at Bryan Gibson's designs on the T20 forum. You may have to register, but if you go into 'The Fleet' subforum and do a search on: STAT THAT SHIP , you'll see some beautiful hand drawn designs (probably the best I've ever seen for traveller).

In terms of generating accurate orthos, if you mean isometric views and the like, the only ways I know are either to make the ship in a 3d software program like sketchup and view it in ortho, or to draw it by hand, or a combination of the two (i.e. do a rough 3d shape and use it as a guide).

Also, consider doing the design using vector (something like inkscape) which may be easier in the long run in terms of drawing and editing.

Guild Apprentice Terraformer_Author's Avatar

Do you have WINGS3D or another 3D modelling app - because this looks like it would be a piece of cake to model. I would model it in Wings3D - and then "Print Screen" Ortho views - paste them from the clipboard onto a master image in Microsoft paint - and it would ROCK!

I may be able to dress this up for you if you want

Hope to see more of your "traveller"" work...

Sorry folk, RL drug me away from the project. I'm going to give this fella a redraw here soon and post it for you all too see.
    My current thread, Developing a plausible and functional system for Fantasy Economics in an rpg.

awesome ( RL sucks sometimes lol ) nice to see ya back