Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new map using multiple sheet effects with CC3

Guild Member

I tend to use a bold blue for water... I like the contrast, and when it prints some of the contrast is lost. All a matter of taste, I suppose.

I think it looks just beautiful, but it is a perfect example of a problem that plagues me all the time....what to do with forested mountains? Popping the mountains on top is one solution but it just looks like a symbol on top of a fill. There must be a better way to achieve the effect!

Guild Member

Here is the whole map (I hope this downloads).
    As to forested mountains, I've decided that for large scale mapping purposes it does not add anything to the map. IN more detailed regional maps I generally change over to symbols and scatter a few around the mountain symbols, which does a decent job of indicating that the mountains are forested. At the end of the day, I've always felt less is more on RPG maps, and the more you try to capture full detail and full realism, the more you build a work of art, and the less a usable RPG map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farowynd2.PNG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	1983  

Guild Member

Oh yeah, I should say, that the one subtle thing I do to represent forests into the mountain ranges is that the forest fill is over the mountain fill, with only the peaks above. This indicates forested mountains. If the fill ends at the mountain contour, then not forested. But, honestly, I'd not assume most people would catch that, its just my way of envisioning it.

Repped for certain! Thank you for sharing.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Nice map and great use of the sheet effects. I can't stop playing with them either latey, to the point they are distracting me from the work I need to get done, both in CC3 and the real world...
    jaerdaph
    JUST ADD HEROES An ICONS Superpowered Roleplaying Game Blog by Joe "jaerdaph" Bardales

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12