Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new map using multiple sheet effects with CC3

Guild Member

Map A new map using multiple sheet effects with CC3

This is a fun one. I am not sure if the JPEG really shows the details well, but when using the sheet effects (blur, displace, and transperency) on multiple layered sheets (4 sheets layered) I have found what I think is a very nice look, giving a sense of different climate effects. CC3 is really advancing, allowing for maps that have a great look. My goal is not to make 'photo realistic' maps (though I love those greyhawk ones someone posted) but to create maps that provide a lot of data in a visually appealing fashion.
    This map is a large on (this is about 1/6 of the total) and has taken about 55 hours so far (figuring out the sheet effects has been a bear).
    Part of the trick is the mixing of bitmap fills to provide texture, then plain fills using various levels of transperancy, edge blur, and displacement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farowynd.JPG 
Views:	857 
Size:	892.4 KB 
ID:	1971  

Nice. I like what you've done with the edges of the forests and the transitions between climates. I think some cool things could be done with river valleys like that.

The sheet effects in CC3 are very powerful, and I know I've barely scratched the surface with them.

And now allow me to prognosticate a bit: someone is about to say something about branching rivers.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Member

What about branching rivers????

Post There's nothing wrong with the rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    And now allow me to prognosticate a bit: someone is about to say something about branching rivers.
    There's nothing wrong with the rivers. They all come from mountain ranges or hill regions. Some lead into lakes with outgoing rivers dropping to lower elevations. My assumption is the rivers in the center area are draining towards the sea which is east off the map.

The lake in the top left center edge might be misleading you into thinking the sea viewed on the northwest side is the same thing. I'm assuming the water body at the top left center edge is actually a lake at a fairly high elevation.

If my assumptions are correct - these rivers do not branch unrealistically, IMO.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-14-2007 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typo
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

GP brought up a point that bugged me as well, namely it is hard to visually differentiate between lakes and bays. Since darkness usually indicates depth, I would suggest colouring the lakes lighter than the seas. This will provide additional clarity on the type of water body it is (important for any clipped by the map edge).

-Rob A>

Guild Member

Part of the challenge here is that this is a snippet of a larger map, making it tough to see where the rivers go and the lakes versus the seas... The rivers all follow the correct logic, and the lakes are mostly made obvious by the fact they are completely surrounded by land and of course, are named lakes. I wish that they effects were better show here, but the relatively low grade JPEG does not capture the subtleties of the effects very well. It is really a nice look.
    Oh, and yes, that body of water to the top center left is a lake, with water flowing OUT of it to the main river flowing through this region (from the western mountains to the eastern ocean). It is a broad gently sloping central grassland with broad flood plains. Again, the larger map would have made that obvious.
    Last edited by Richardb; 12-14-2007 at 09:55 AM.

I really like it. It has that "game-map" feeling. Although i really like some of the more realistic maps on here, it is also nice to have some maps with this flavour.

And the question i always ask in threads that state that they show only a part of the whole map: can you show us the whole map? the world-map? That'd be great!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Ah! I see. You're right. I had thought the water was running into that body of water. Now that it's been put into perspective it makes a whole lot more sense to me.

Try exporting the map as a PNG. You won't get any compression artifacts that way. I think it should still be under the file size limitation even at that resolution (4.77 MB)
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Member

I'll put up the overview map this weekend sometime... though clearly the quality will drop due to the size. Total map size is about 6000 miles north/south by 2500 miles east/west.
    By the way, I did the forests differently, using a bitmap fill from DD3 (dirt and grass) and then doing a lighter green glow on a 30 mile radius, as well as a blur on the forest bitmap. Gives it a sense of depth along the edges, as well as a nice transition. I played with about 50 sheet effect combo's before settling on this one.

Nice work, Richard! I likee. I am not fond of the neon blue of the waters, though: it's a bit too overpowering for me.

Thanks for posting this!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast