Thread: Textures from Grandma

Info Textures from Grandma

My grandmother passed last year, and left her cookbook to my father. Going through it with him this week, we pulled out several handwritten recipes that were faded and worn that I scanned to clean up and preserve. I also scanned the back sides of many of them because I love the beautiful textures from the paper originally filled out by my grandmother and (in some cases) my great-grandmother.

I hope everyone enjoys these as much as I do (and in some cases, you can actually catch some old family recipes by flipping the image and playing with the levels).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cili Sauce.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	175.3 KB 
ID:	32652Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oysters.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	32651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marmalade.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	444.5 KB 
ID:	32653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Raisin Pie.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	716.8 KB 
ID:	32654

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

What fabulous textures!

Very nice old paper (interesting recipes, too - seeded raisins?!?). One technique to keep text from bleeding through the paper (especially thin papers like the onionskin on the right) is to scan against a black background. The overall scan will be darker, but you'll only get the front surface of your scan and not the reflections back from the white background.

Nice stuff, thanks for sharing
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Apprentice FrancoisGoulet's Avatar
    Blainville, Quebec, Canada (M4HG+V8 Blainville, Québec)

Fantastic... There's nothing better to give something an historical feeling that actually being... historical

Thanks for sharing!

These are brilliant! Thank you so much for posting, AC and sorry to hear about the loss of your grandma. May the back pages of her recipes live on at the Cartographers' Guild!