Thread: Help with roads

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Question Help with roads

Hey,
    I'm making a map for my nation on NationStates but i don't know how to draw highways, dotted line? red line? black line?
    same with railways and roads

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Map.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	31961

btw, i'm not going to change the colors, this is the final style

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's really just personal preference, although you could look at modern atlases and duplicate the style found there. As long as you've got an identifying key though, it doesn't really matter. For a map like this, maybe dotted black lines for roads, solid black lines for highways, and solid red lines for railways?

Not sure what tool you are using but sometimes you can draw a line and then tweak it with bevels, embossing, stroking, whatever to get some good effects. If you just want it to be a simple line of some kind then I think you need to figure out the order of significance. Highways bolder than roads? Railroads probably need some kind of cross hatch unless the name of the track gives it away. Some detail may not matter depending on what level of detail you plan. You might make rails like roads but use a different color then you could do highways with solid line and roads with dashes or something.

Take a look at some of the finished maps and see how others have done roads. That might give you some ideas as well.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I'd be tempted to go with a scheme like below, but as Diamond says, it's pretty much personal preference. Take a look at a number of atlases and see what you like best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	landmass.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	271.5 KB 
ID:	31965  

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Thank you for your help, i finished it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Map.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	519.7 KB 
ID:	31967