• The World of Deis Mundi - by Diamond

16 42.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *** December 2010 Challenge VOTING: Map a Planet ***

Blog Entries

Default *** December 2010 Challenge VOTING: Map a Planet ***

*** December 2010 Challenge VOTING: Map a Planet ***

The December 2010 Challenge has ended. The challenge was to create map of an entire world. We had a really good turn-out and we'd like to take the opportunity to congratulate everyone who successfully finished a submission.

Please have a look over the Thumbs here:

Thumbnails for the December Challenge

This month we have 13 entries, so please vote for your top 3 (three) maps. Remember to rep any map that you vote for, as well as any others that you feel deserve it.

This poll will close in 4 days time (the 5th of January).

Blog Entries

Sorry guys, I messed up the first poll so badly that I had to delete and resubmit. I left it private and didn't allow multiple votes.

Oh, and I voted for cereth, Sapiento and ravells. Great work everyone and I will make sure to rep everyone who participated.

PS: Mou, the board software forces you to submit the post first, then fill in the blanks for the poll, which means the poll lags by a bit, depending on how big the list.
    Last edited by Immolate; 01-01-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I didn't want to vote for Sap because you KNOW he's gonna run away with this contest, but I just had to. His map is far too awesome not to vote for. (Unfortunately I can't rep you yet, Sap. )

Also voted for Ravs, because like I said in his thread, I loves me some sepias; and for su_liam, out of sheer respect for all the number-crunching.

Sapiento's Maargard automatically gets my vote. Not just because it is a beautiful piece of work, but because I've been inspired by part of the map. I figure any final map of Kazh will have to include some sort of system map to show the relationship between Kazh and it's solar system and the highly eccentric orbit of the larger and brighter companion star. My system map is unlikely to be anywhere near as aesthetically attractive as Sapiento's work, but he definitely provided the inspiration.

Diamond's Deis Mundi, while a touch derivative, is beautiful, and all the detail of architectural imagery, inset maps and the street map of Luthia makes the place feel very alive. I would love to play in God's World.

Deciding between cereth, Ascension and Greason Wolf is terribly hard. I think if GW had more time, he would own my third vote, but as it is I gave it to cereth's lovely orbs, though the land forms are lovely in both.

After those, I love Jaxilon's Xperemiante. I think he has the next Ascension Method here. If I had any artistic talent, I'd so try to copy his style!

Immolate's Aliron is another very attractive map with very good landforms. His continents just feel right to me.

Noon's Sylvania was quite a pretty map and his technique showed immense progress very quickly. Given more time for polishing the detail would have won me over and this one might have taken the place of cereth's Ursea, which while a lovely image was somewhat lacking as a map.

Reckless Enthusiasm's Littlest Planetoid was a very cute picture and great fun.

Jtougas' UNC-134.B had a great story and I'd love to hear more. A couple of years ago, I probably would have killed to be able to make a map like that. I'll be watching his career with great interest.

Last but certainly not least is Ravell's Wagner VII. I love the style of this map. The mountains looked great and the landforms were attractive. The textural element he added was a little too low-res and pixilated but otherwise excellent. Ravells is one of my favorite people here. Were it not for him, I likely would never have found this forum and I'd still be putting up really crummy worldmaps on COTI.

I might have voted for my own work, but there was just so much that was better... I'll still be working on it, though.

Woah, this was super hard. So many stunning maps! It's a shame i can't vote for more than three (yes, i know, it defeats the purpose ). I bow to all of your mad mapping-skills!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Waouh, it's very difficult to choose. There are so many different styles.
    But my preference is to Cereth and Sapiento's maps, because of the color harmony that appeals to me. Those maps are very beautiful images that make me dream.
    I also vote for me, because I'm proud to have managed to improve my map. I'm not as skillful as most of you and it's a pleasure to come here, be inspired, listen, learn.
    Thank you all for your comments on my map.
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Blog Entries

Sapi... it's impressive the sheer percentage of votes that you've received on this one. You're long overdue for a challenge win and though it's early still, I think this one may be your well-earned victory.

I have given rep to all of the contestants except Cereth and Diamond. I ran out sorry. I will try again tomorrow!
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Obviously I had to vote for Sapi it's just beautiful I also voted for RE because once again a pretty funny map stole Ava's heart My last vote went to Cereth for a another visually stunning map. I would have voted for everyone because the maps were all so good. I think I entered this challenge on a whim and a story idea but I'm glad that I did. For everyone that commented and enjoyed the story that went along with my map fear not Commander Mayer and Interworld aren't quite done yet...
    Last edited by jtougas; 01-02-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Is anyone else able to rep in the locked threads? I still can't and don't know why. So in the meantime, I owe Cereth, Sap, and Ravs.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I didn't have any problem just now when I ran through to make sure that I had repped everyone.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast