Thread: Green Port Map

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Default Green Port Map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Map.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	519.7 KB 
ID:	31969
    I took me a couple of days to finish it but here it is.
    I made this map for my nationstates empire

So, do you like it? any criticism?
    Last edited by mbartelsm; 01-02-2011 at 04:35 PM.

"Approved" has two "p"s.

The rail system is amazingly composed of nothing but straight lines. Not impossible, but indicative of an obsession with running straight lines over any questions of efficiency.

what program did you use to make the map?

Any nation capable of and inclined to build 22km seawalls, has my permission to run its railroads as laser straight as desired. Or just maybe, can represent them schematically so :-).

You show only one or two cities or towns per district, but your road network obviously accommodates a hundred minor places. You don't have to name them all, but a viewer might make more sense out of Green Port if you scatter dots for the lesser settlements here and there. Even without labeling, that'd give clues as to where the fishermen live, where the market towns might be, what the local population density might be. Also, to differentiate cities vs. towns with only a change in font size might be a bit subtle. It wouldn't change your clean look or minimalist layout, to maybe make towns a dot instead of a box. Or vary the box size, perhaps.

36 million citizens across that minor a land mass is preeeeettty crowded. But then, population in Nation States is a bit wild, n'est-ce pas? Your stated ~1540 sq km total area may be a bit low - eyeballing it I'd get more like 2800 for a 'solid disk'. A third being water looks about right. So 2000 sq km, 36 million -- your density is maybe 18,000 per sq km which is right up there with Monaco or Macau. Maybe you can link to the neat Kowloon cross-sections recently mentioned :-)... your people are gonna need that level of rabbit warren!

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jbgibson View Post
    Any nation capable of and inclined to build 22km seawalls, has my permission to run its railroads as laser straight as desired. Or just maybe, can represent them schematically so :-).

You show only one or two cities or towns per district, but your road network obviously accommodates a hundred minor places. You don't have to name them all, but a viewer might make more sense out of Green Port if you scatter dots for the lesser settlements here and there. Even without labeling, that'd give clues as to where the fishermen live, where the market towns might be, what the local population density might be. Also, to differentiate cities vs. towns with only a change in font size might be a bit subtle. It wouldn't change your clean look or minimalist layout, to maybe make towns a dot instead of a box. Or vary the box size, perhaps.

36 million citizens across that minor a land mass is preeeeettty crowded. But then, population in Nation States is a bit wild, n'est-ce pas? Your stated ~1540 sq km total area may be a bit low - eyeballing it I'd get more like 2800 for a 'solid disk'. A third being water looks about right. So 2000 sq km, 36 million -- your density is maybe 18,000 per sq km which is right up there with Monaco or Macau. Maybe you can link to the neat Kowloon cross-sections recently mentioned :-)... your people are gonna need that level of rabbit warren!
    lol, i can't control the pop that NS says, in rp i have 2 million habitants. and maybe i should make my railroads/subway a little more curved

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really like the look. I can remember when I was playing NS my country of Albathia had about 2.5 million people centered around 3 major cities in a land mass the size of Rhode Island talk about crowded..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Ahhh - a factor of 18 less -- that's less crazy :-). 1000 per sq km means you'd only need the Kowloon-density tenements in the cities themselves :-)

The straight lines can work if you're going for a schematic look. To represent the real alignment of tracks does take following the lay of the land, or in our case, first devising the lay of the land :-)...