Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some of my Myst maps

Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Map Some of my Myst maps

So, I have been working on and off for four years on my digital Myst books, I'm done with the first book, covering the first game; Myst and I am currently working on the second book which is about Riven.

In these books, maps of the islands need to be drawn, so I thought I'd submit three from the Myst book here. I'm new to the forum and I've asked some questions about map making to enhance these and make them better. You can read a bit about the process here:

http://sandman.net/myst

Basically, I use a Wacom Cintiq to draw the maps, and mainly Photoshop. I use this for all the illustrations in the books, not only the maps. I am trying to get a nice hand-drawn look to the maps, yet try to fit as much detail as possible and I am constantly trying to make them better. The ones in the books are the current versions.

You can even click on the Riven book and see a sketch of the Temple island map. I am currently working on the Jungle island map in Riven and I am trying to make mountain ridges look better than they have. I dislike my take on stones and ridges and wanted a more map-like look of erosion and shading. I was (on this board) told that it looked fine though so I'm unsure as to how to make myself more satisfied with it

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stoneship.png 
Views:	405 
Size:	146.5 KB 
ID:	31875Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myst.png 
Views:	2489 
Size:	970.1 KB 
ID:	31876Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Selentic.png 
Views:	1191 
Size:	527.4 KB 
ID:	31877

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if I'm making any rookie mistakes

Like I said in your other thread, very nicely done! Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Like I said in your other thread, very nicely done! Thanks for sharing with all of us.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks. I am currently working on the Riven Jungle Island map and using this hand drawn style for the mountain/stone ridges. I'll post it here when done.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Very nice !!
    Thanks!

Superb!

I think probably the best way to improve your shaded relief is to simply look at a lot of what other artists have done. Take a look at this site: http://www.shadedreliefarchive.com/ Just immerse yourself in the artwork and try to see how you can transfer the looks that you see into your own painting. The best-looking relief has always been created manually.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

I would love to see how you go about drawing and shading your mountains - it's some of the best shaded relief drawing I've seen. Do you have time to do a small tutorial or just some screenshots with explanations as to how you go about it?

Many thanks!

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Superb!

I think probably the best way to improve your shaded relief is to simply look at a lot of what other artists have done. Take a look at this site: http://www.shadedreliefarchive.com/ Just immerse yourself in the artwork and try to see how you can transfer the looks that you see into your own painting. The best-looking relief has always been created manually.
    That was a very good link. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I would love to see how you go about drawing and shading your mountains - it's some of the best shaded relief drawing I've seen. Do you have time to do a small tutorial or just some screenshots with explanations as to how you go about it?

Many thanks!

Ravs
    Seriously? I think my stone/mountain shading isn't all that good. I hate it on Stoneship map (the one with the boat stuck in the rock) for instance. I am currently working on two Riven maps, and I am really trying to improve my shading skills. I'll post a progress image of it. As for tutorial, I'm not sure how such a tutorial would look.

When I meant, best shaded relief drawing I've seen, I meant on this site...of course the real shaded relief drawing professionals produce incredible work (although I suspect they are a dying breed since most of it is done by software these days). You have probably already seen this site which has some tips. Tom Patterson's site is also one of the best on the web (and he answers emails!). Screenshots of the steps would be great to see!

Cheers

Ravs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast