Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Riven - my work in progress

Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by copy/paste as I was figuring you would draw each one. The point is if you take a look around at some of the Architectural drawings that show trees you might be able to do something like them with your own twist. That's just the first one I found on the net. You could also go to google earth and zoom in somewhere that has a tree and just draw that. Just some ideas that might get you going in a direction you like. Based on the rest of your work I am sure you will conquer this however you do it.
    Yeah, I didn't mean to sound unappreciative

Yeah, using GE is a good idea!

No worries man, I look forward to seeing what you come up with for them.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Wip Myst island - reworked

So, I went back to Myst island and tried to make the tress look a bit more like I would like to have them. This is the result. I am attaching both the first and the new version of the Island (the first is the one without the paper background).

I would very much like to have some comments on the trees now. I think they look ok, maybe a bit too realistic. They are made by hand though and by using scattering on a PS brush but each tree is drawn independently.

The idea is that if I find a method or look that I like I will also use it on the Jungle island map that I am working on. I think these are a bit too green for that map, but then again, maybe not. I'll probably add a more brownish tone to them regardless.

So, let me know what you think!

(One a sidenote, I'm having severe problems adding attachements to my posts...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myst-Island-Map.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	260.0 KB 
ID:	32318   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myst.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	970.1 KB 
ID:	32319  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing I can say is about color. You might want to use something a little more yellowish. Say like you're looking at the color slider on the square RGB picker (black at the bottom, white in top left, color in top right), take it down a little more towards yellow and then maybe darker and grayer as well. It's purely subjective and maybe you like them more vivid than I do so it's up to you, really.

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	32320  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, I notice that most of the objects (buildings, boats, roads, etc) have dark outlines on them, while your trees are looking more realistic (looks like a very faint outer glow, or maybe just a soft brush?). You might just need to draw an outline for the trees, and use your scatter brush to fill them and use the outlines as a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by moutarde View Post
    Well, I notice that most of the objects (buildings, boats, roads, etc) have dark outlines on them, while your trees are looking more realistic (looks like a very faint outer glow, or maybe just a soft brush?). You might just need to draw an outline for the trees, and use your scatter brush to fill them and use the outlines as a mask.
    Good point! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The only thing I can say is about color. You might want to use something a little more yellowish. Say like you're looking at the color slider on the square RGB picker (black at the bottom, white in top left, color in top right), take it down a little more towards yellow and then maybe darker and grayer as well. It's purely subjective and maybe you like them more vivid than I do so it's up to you, really.
    Yeah, the colors can always be tweaked. Myst island is a bit more green and lush than you'd normally expect. Here's a overview render from the original game: http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0...rden_super.jpg

Default Myst Island again

Here's an update to the Myst Island map where I've outlined the trees slightly.

Name:	Myst-Island-Map.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	257.0 KB 
ID:	32342  

Oh yeah, those trees look much nicer now

There you have it....your own style of architectural type trees. I like em
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 01-10-2011 at 02:11 AM. Reason: clarity
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast