Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Riven - my work in progress

Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by del337er View Post
    Woww, that is completely incredible :O
    Wow, thanks

Map Jungle Island DONE!

I'll add the finished Jungle Island Map to this thread as well, so it's easy to see the progress. I posted a new thread about it here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JungleMap_5.jpg 
Views:	271 
Size:	460.9 KB 
ID:	32594  

Wip Boiler Island is ON!

Haha, well here is a progress image of Boiler Island! This is just the very first sketch, the outline is done and I've sketched some of the basic features and started slightly on the rock shading. I did a video recording of the first steps and I thought I'd stitch together a video of the entire progress of the map when it's done, recording small snippets with comments along the way, anyone of guys interested in something like that?

Anyway, this island is formed from a meteor strike (or at least, it looks like it was) and has a very blue lake in the middle. It's the island with the fewest items on it, and most of it is inaccessible in the game. It plays a crucial role however. The basics of the island is that the chopped up trees from Jungle Island are transported here and used in a boiler (hence the nickname of the island) that makes paper mass which is turned into special books in the lab. The basics of these are sketched in, but will obviously look better in the finished product

Anyway, too much talk here!

Name:	Screen shot 2011-01-20 at 13.03.59.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	32733  

So far is looks great! I can't wait to see more.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanNet View Post
    I did a video recording of the first steps and I thought I'd stitch together a video of the entire progress of the map when it's done, recording small snippets with comments along the way, anyone of guys interested in something like that?
    Yes. Ugh, too short to post. Yes, *please*.

Default Boiler map progress shot

Nothing fancy has happened. I've worked on the rock shading some more. This island is going to be a BITCH when it comes to rock shading. Sigh

Laid out the paths and access ways to and off the island. Will be adding structures as well. As I mentioned earlier, there isn't much on this island to begin with.

Anyway, here it is.

Name:	BoilerMap_2.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	32877  

Wow, very cool maps from a game (and series) I absolutely adore. Not that you have to take this suggestion, but if you could somehow integrate D'ni numbers into the maps (maybe as notations, etc.), that would really add some lore and even more authenticity.

Beautiful work

Very nice....makes me want to play Myst now!

Quote Originally Posted by WestWind View Post
    Wow, very cool maps from a game (and series) I absolutely adore. Not that you have to take this suggestion, but if you could somehow integrate D'ni numbers into the maps (maybe as notations, etc.), that would really add some lore and even more authenticity.

Beautiful work
    Well, if you read the books ( http://sandman.net/myst ), specifically the Riven book, you will see some D'ni numbers there. Basically, the D'ni number system has just been discovered by the Stranger in my journals, so he isn't very proficient with it, yet.

Default I'm not dead!

So, progress is SLOW. Partly because it's all rock shading now and that is booooring, but also because my inspiration about the Myst Book has its ups and down and currently it is not so high. But I took the time to continue with the Boiler Island map today and here is how it looks now. Not much have happened, but still

I can also plug the fact that I've created a site for the Myst Books now. Instead of having them on my homepage. Gave me the chance to give it another design. You can find it at http://myst.sandman.net

Name:	BoilerMap_3.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	33672  

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast