Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Riven - my work in progress

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Wip Riven - my work in progress

So, I didn't find a forum for works in progress, so I decided to post it here. Feel free to tell me how stupid I am for not finding where this was supposed to go.

I posted about my earlier, finished, Myst Maps in an earlier thread and got some positive feedback on the mountain shading. I myself doesn't like them very much though and I think the Stoneship map (the one with the boat in the rock) looks awful. I have been trying to improve with this with the Riven map (and I'm sure I'll re-visit those Myst maps to do the same there).

These are two images from two Riven islands; Temple Island and Jungle Island. If you've played the game, I'm sure you'll recognize them. They're made in Photoshop and I use a Wacom Cintiq to hand-draw pretty much all content.

The island outline is drawn on a layer and has the brownish color as an overlay. The shading, lighting and paths are clipping layers for that layer and both are set to blend with "overlay", so the colors blend in a more natural way.

I'd like some comments on the ridges and the shading and lighting of the mountain/hills. The Temple island (the one with the huge yellow dome) is a bit too noisy, and I realize this, I will probably redo the entire smaller island when I get the chance. It's so very time consuming this process.

These are obviously in progress, and if you like I could post new progress images until they are done, if there is any interest. This is for my sake, however, since progress usually is swifter when there is some form of interest in said progress Anyway, thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JungleMap.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	31981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	31982
    Last edited by SandmanNet; 01-04-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not stupid theres a LOT of stuff on these forums but there is WIP forums for each type of map as I said earlier these are awesome!!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Just a quick update. Temple island is a bit more complete now. Still a lot to do, but the stoney parts are soon done. Phew.

Name:	Temple_2.jpg 
Views:	592 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	31990

Map Temple island done!

I'll post this to a new thread as well, but I'll add it to this "in progress" thread first. This is the finished Temple Island map. Hope you think it's ok

Is there any admin that could move this thread to Forum -> Mapmaking Discussion & Philosophy (WIP/Critique) -> Regional/World Mapping ??

Name:	Temple_3.jpg 
Views:	924 
Size:	169.2 KB 
ID:	32096
    Last edited by SandmanNet; 01-04-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Ok, it wasn't quite done. It never is, is it?

This is the final version (?)

Name:	Temple_Island_new.jpg 
Views:	743 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	32143

Awesome man, that looks so good. I like the changes you made.

You know they say that a work of art is never finished until you take it away from the artist. I have to force myself to stop a lot of the time and just walk away, hehe.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Awesome man, that looks so good. I like the changes you made.

You know they say that a work of art is never finished until you take it away from the artist. I have to force myself to stop a lot of the time and just walk away, hehe.
    So true!

Looks beautiful! How big does each square represent?
    My DA

Unless I state otherwise in a post, all of my work displayed on this forum is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Quote Originally Posted by FeralBuddy View Post
    So true!

Looks beautiful! How big does each square represent?
    I'd say about five meters (16' I suppose?)

The squares are actually integral to the game, where the location of the rotating dome (the small one in the upper part on an island of its own) is in one specific square of each map that relates to a puzzle you need to solve later in the game. The dome is large enough to fit one man inside of it, so I guess it's at least 3-4 meters in diameter, and the square is slightly larger, so...

Wip Update: Jungle Island

So I've been working some more on the Jungle island map, and the shading is a slooow process... I think I'm almost half-way done. Tell me what you think.

Name:	JungleMap_2.jpg 
Views:	569 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	32215

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast