Thread: Riven - my work in progress

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected SandmanNet's Avatar

Wip Riven - my work in progress

So, I didn't find a forum for works in progress, so I decided to post it here. Feel free to tell me how stupid I am for not finding where this was supposed to go.

I posted about my earlier, finished, Myst Maps in an earlier thread and got some positive feedback on the mountain shading. I myself doesn't like them very much though and I think the Stoneship map (the one with the boat in the rock) looks awful. I have been trying to improve with this with the Riven map (and I'm sure I'll re-visit those Myst maps to do the same there).

These are two images from two Riven islands; Temple Island and Jungle Island. If you've played the game, I'm sure you'll recognize them. They're made in Photoshop and I use a Wacom Cintiq to hand-draw pretty much all content.

The island outline is drawn on a layer and has the brownish color as an overlay. The shading, lighting and paths are clipping layers for that layer and both are set to blend with "overlay", so the colors blend in a more natural way.

I'd like some comments on the ridges and the shading and lighting of the mountain/hills. The Temple island (the one with the huge yellow dome) is a bit too noisy, and I realize this, I will probably redo the entire smaller island when I get the chance. It's so very time consuming this process.

These are obviously in progress, and if you like I could post new progress images until they are done, if there is any interest. This is for my sake, however, since progress usually is swifter when there is some form of interest in said progress Anyway, thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JungleMap.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	31981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Temple.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	31982
    Last edited by SandmanNet; 01-04-2011 at 06:43 AM.