Thread: December/January Challenge : Forest Clearing Campsite

Guild Member

Default December/January Challenge : Forest Clearing Campsite

This is my first time entering one of these, but I will give her a whirl I guess. I am such a greenhorn with mapping software I am neverous about even trying, but oh well. I am not sure I like the shpes of the trees. I am still playing with creating trees and not really where I want to be, but I doubt I will have time to really tweak them like I want in the time frame of the challenge. It is on my to-do list though.

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Campsite_1_JM.png 
Views:	1579 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	31985

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The trees look really good to me. It's a bit blurry though Don't be nervous these challenges are a great way to focus your map making.. looking forward to watching this progress
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Welcome to the challenges! If you are willing to get in the ring you will find that while you might not win for a bit you are going to learn a lot. It's probably one of the best ways to get some constructive criticism. So no matter what happens congratulations for jumping in.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Member

Wip

]I have added a tent and fire. The question is whether or not to use these elements that I created or to go with drop in items I get elsewhere. I know my work is not as good as others. There are some really good camp fires and tents out there, but there is an appeal to doing the whole thing myself too. IDK, may change them them out later. My tent still looks a little like its floating and I havn't worked that out yet.

###LATEST WIP###

Name:	Campsite_1_JM.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	32065

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The campfire looks really good. The tent is nice as well but could use some texture to make it pop. Good work so far
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi meek and welcome to the challenges ... don't worry about your skills in this, the challenges are for learning - and it isn't always the "prettiest" map that wins, but people often reward the good idea as well. I've been entering the challenges myself for a year or more now, haven't won yet - but its fun to compete
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Member

Wip

OK, I have maps to work on for a game so I am going to wrap this up for the time being. I added a sleeping matt and another tree as well as as a grid. If I print this map I will probably lighten it up some because my printed maps seem to alsways be a bit too dark. I may even turn the grid lines white for a print version to make the use of minis easier. I agree that the tent needs more texture, but I don't have time (at te moment) to work on that. So here is the current little campsite.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Campsite_1_JM.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	473.6 KB 
ID:	32130