Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the differences between CC3 and fractal terrains pro?

Default What are the differences between CC3 and fractal terrains pro?

What are the differences between CC3 and fractal terrains pro?

Say, i want to draw a 3D map and project it using any map projection method to 2D map, should i use CC3 or FT pro?

And if i'd like to analyze weather condition, climate, distance etc, which one should i use?

thx.

Fractal Terrains is a progarm that is seperate from CC3, that can generate worlds, and then export those maps to CC3 for further refining.

As to 3d maps, a little more information please.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    As to 3d maps, a little more information please.
    Oh, sorry, that was a mistake since i write '2D' and automatically compared it to '3D'. What i mean is: "i want to draw a SPHERICAL map and project it using any map projection method to 2D map'.

I want to make a new planet with its own measure and geography but with same spherical shape and similiar planetary system as earth, and i need to do geographical analysis such climates etc. Which one between CC3 ant FTpro suit me the best? Or are there programs better suit me?

Just heard about digital cartography moments ago and dont know a thing....

Ahhh....Probably Fractal Terrains. But with FT, you make the map (the world really), but you could then export to CC3 to make the maps themselves.

See the following link. I made a new Campaign World (roughly earth sized, similar tilt etc.) in Fractal Terrains, and then exported to CC3 to make the regional maps.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Campaign-World

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Neither one will do much analysis for you. Fractal Terrains works by creating a heightmap using fractal noise algorithms, then it lays in some "guestimate" climates and calculates where the rivers will likely be when generating an image of the world. It has some issues, though, such as always placing mountain ranges in the center of a landmass and being unable to account for terrain contributions to biomes. I don't recall whether it can reproject the world or not. There is, however, a freeware tool that can do that called Flex Projector.

CC3 is a CAD (Computer Aided Design) program customized for fantasy mapping. It can make fractalized lines to quickly create coastline and river features, numerous drawing tools for contours, and it comes with symbol collections for making stamp-based maps. If you look through the Profantasy website, you'll see lots of samples of images created with CC3, which should give you an idea of what it does. It does come with some measurement tools, but that's the extent of its analysis capabilities. It is mostly an image-creation tool.

For actual geographic analysis, you'll need a GIS (Geographic Information System). These take quite a bit of effort to learn, since they are very powerful professional tools. I think there is a free one available, but I don't recall what it is. Even so, a GIS is not a generator, only an analysis tool.

For creating weather, climate, etc, there isn't yet a tool we're aware of that can do it programatically, but there are resources to help you do it manually, such as the Climate Cookbook.

Fractal Terrains and the Campaign Cartographer are excellent tools, but you should be aware of what they do and do not do before purchasing.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thx for the info. I'm currently learning to use arcGIS (9.3), but with no avail. So i'm looking for simpler version.

Btw, what's the newest version of CC3 and FT pro? And how big the file size is? I think im going download it, since my country is not listed on the retailer list.

@neonknight: you got wonderful world there.
    Last edited by Thereh; 08-27-2010 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereh View Post
    Thx for the info. I'm currently learning to use arcGIS (9.3), but with no avail. So i'm looking for simpler version.

Btw, what's the newest version of CC3 and FT pro? And how big the file size is? I think im going download it, since my country is not listed on the retailer list.

Thanx.

If you do go for the Download, see if you can at least get the Disks mailed to you. Even with the disks you can always download.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereh View Post

CC3 is the newest version and its size is 450 mb

how will I know it that software is right for me. I feel like I need training wheels!

@ AHawk -- we have those training wheels -- a whole boatload of tutorials. Like the original poster was advised - look around at examples of maps made with tool X ( tool CC3, tool FT) and see if you like the results. Then look up tuts that relate to the specific package you want. Some tools are close enough you can use a tutorial intended for a different one - with some creative bending and interpretation, some have applied Photoshop tuts to the Gimp, for instance. Won't be a perfect match, and some methods are tough
    to translate.

At some point, you just have to buy the bicycle, and try it out! At least FT, CC3, Serif's PhotoPlus and DrawPlus, and some others are reasonably priced - won't kill most of us to try. If you see effects you "need" Photoshop for ... ehh, yeah, that's buying a whole car, so you want to be pretty sure it'll suit you. Really, from what users say, the Gimp can do about anything you would want PS to do, just in sometimes differing ways.... its price is certainly no barrier (free!), only the learning curve might give you pause. On the other hand, if you have use for some heavy-duty graphics capability for work or play or both, PhotoShop will sure take you everywhere you want to go - same large learning curve, of course.

Tell us what you want to do, and we'll help you find some training wheels and an appropriate bike!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast