Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I have a Website....I hope

Must agree with OldGuy now ... changed my opinion I guess. I've been fooling around with my own portfolio site (won't hijack this post though and indeed there are many 3rd party plugins that support good galleries for WP. I also got this Artiseer tool that can be used to create simple templates quiet fast (So Jax, if you want me to create you a simple template, just send me a PM). Didn't find a decent way to create a little 'e-shop' yet to sell PDF's via the WP site (there are some plugins and manuals to link to paypal, but they dont seem very mature)... btw Jax, love the new banner you added cheers!

My map site, www.adventurers-atlas.com is built on Wordpress. It uses a theme that I purpose-built for it, and I've figured out ways of implementing pretty much all the functionality I need from it. To be able to turn a Wordpress theme into soft putty that conforms to your imagination takes a fair bit of doing if you don't know CSS (for layout & styling) and PHP (for functionality).

Adventurer's Atlas doesn't run under the Wordpress.com server (we have our own hosting) so as a result I probably have access to more stuff to customize than you do on the server side, but I'd be happy to help you out with Wordpress development if you have any specific, technical questions.
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

Looks good. There are plenty of wordpress themes for wordpress v.3 that are built specifically for portfolios; some are free.

-papaholmz

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

by the way Jax, shouldn't you link to your site in your signature?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yeah I need to do that, thanks for the nudge
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Looks good!
    M

Congrats on the new site.

I can honestly say that starting your own website is a great path to take if your goal is to get commissions. That's not my goal at all, and I don't advertise myself as being for-hire. But just having a website gets me at least a few commission requests every month, 99.99% of which I refer to the Guild since I just do it as a hobby.

Wordpress is a good choice for a CMS and there are plenty of gallery themes out there to simplify things for you.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Quote Originally Posted by loongtim View Post
    Congrats on the new site.

I can honestly say that starting your own website is a great path to take if your goal is to get commissions. That's not my goal at all, and I don't advertise myself as being for-hire. But just having a website gets me at least a few commission requests every month, 99.99% of which I refer to the Guild since I just do it as a hobby.

Wordpress is a good choice for a CMS and there are plenty of gallery themes out there to simplify things for you.
    You probably also get lots of traffic just because of the domain name you have.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    You probably also get lots of traffic just because of the domain name you have.

-Rob A>
    Yep, definitely doesn't hurt to pick a good domain name right from the start. However, if you can get something short, memorable and brandable you should be alright. A minimal amount of SEO will take you a long way. If enough people have their own websites and are interested in a quick, basic SEO tutorial, I'd be happy to write one up.
    FantasyMapMaker.com - free fantasy maps for commercial or personal use ~ Campaign Cartographer 3 Review

Ok, at the risk of sounding stupid, and since it is not coming to my mind at the moment...what is "SEO"?
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast