Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: December/January Challenge : Cavern behind the waterfall

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the differing grid angles - gives a good seperation of the different levels
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Yeah I think it worked out pretty well. The top grid might never be used but I figured if the battle spills out into the basin area it would be sweet to have an archer or two up there on the grassy knoll.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hehe - good one
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I can't leave things alone. I think I may be happier with using a Hex grid on this and it covers more of the bases. I also think this one would print out in a usable format.

So I can go with either Grid, just wondered what others thought. Also, now I can move forward with the rest.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CampcaveH.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	32152  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

I don't usually use hex grids, but I think in this case it's a really good move as it makes it easier to maneuver in the more natural terrain. I like the way you offset the grid slightly between the top and bottom levels. I'd never think to do that, but it really helps separate the two levels.

Tutorial Painting LIght sources - a mini-tut for Gimp users

A lot of folks are doing firelight and lanterns for this challenge and while I'm sure many of you have your own method already there may also be some who have no clue what to do. I figured I would share what seems to work ok for me. I am using GIMP so this will use Gimp terms but the idea should be pretty easy to follow whatever you use.

1) First draw the light source, in this case fire. That's the center point.
    2) Make a new layer set to Overlay and fill it with black or close enough to darken everything.
    3) Next, draw a circle with the radius being however far the light source can travel (typically 20 to 40 feet - add a little more for "buffer"). Drag the circle so the center is right over the middle of the fire's location.
    4) Select a light color (white is ok but fire is usually more golden yellow) as your foreground color and black as your background.
    5) Select the gradient tool and set: Shape = Radial, Repeat = none.
    6) Drag the line from the center of the circle towards the outer edge coming up short just a bit depending on how your gradient comes out (I undo this a couple times to get it right). You could feather your circle at the start if it's still to defined where the light hits the dark (the "buffer" space should have taken care of this though).

Sometimes I will Gaussian blur that it if it's not even enough for me. You may also want to duplicate the layer if you need a bit more darkness around the outside.

Here is a screenshot of the concept.

You still have to go back and eliminate light that is shining through objects and add shadows where appropriate.

Hope that is of some use to someone.

Name:	Firelight.jpg 
Size:	333.3 KB 
ID:	32168  

Updated with some camp items and lighting from a small fire and a few lanterns. Have to think about what else I can do now.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Campcave.jpg 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	32177  

Just a proof of concept screenshot from RP Tools. Credit and thanks go to Devin Night for the tokens! I don't plan to actually have them on the map for my entry but I wanted to make sure everything would work. Also, a little story that I imagined as I was building the scene.

Breegan and Shar were exhausted from the days long march and the battle with that creature that seemed to just rise up out of the earth. Both had taken to their rolls and passed quickly into fitful slumber. Learin sat at the makeshift table pouring over the map the party had "procured" two weeks back. Lord, but it seemed like a month had passed since the band of four had started on this trail. It was not turning out to be as easy as they had thought. Trying to decipher the writing that was barely visible when held before the light of the lantern was proving to be frustrating. Even with his excellent vision it was giving him a headache.
    Across the cavern, Scout was on first watch. Even though they had found this cave by blind chance that did not mean they were the only ones who knew of it's existence. After all, it seemed like a dream come true. Still, each one of them had welcomed the hidden shelter and all had agreed to camp. Something about the silent stillness of the night put Learin on edge. What had changed? He could feel it, like a tiny tingling down his spine that made the hairs on his neck stand up. Was that a new smell on the air? As he lifted his eyes to the sentry across the cave he saw Scout was suddenly standing, facing the entrance with a drawn bow....

Name:	POCshot.jpg.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	32216  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 01-07-2011 at 11:31 AM.

Looking good Jaxilon!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now that's not fair..your already a FAR better cartographer than I am and now you write better too?...hehe just kidding great map and great story..what happens next?
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast