Thread: Kelunia Map Redesign

Default Kelunia Map Redesign

Well this is only like the fourth time or so I've reworked this map, hah.

Anyhoo, Kelunia is a small continent near the equator of its world, rather hot and somewhat deserty, especially in the eastern bit, much of which is not shown here, since the important part is the western piece, which is the top in this map. The forested country on the right side is actually the northernmost country on the map. The mountains near the top are far west, and cold of course, due to being... well... mountains. The map is oriented this way because I wanted to emphasize the flow of the Naida river, which is sort of like the Nile in its importance here. Any and all features of terrain and such may or may not be technically correct beyond looking good and sounding relatively plausible. Any corrections are welcome.

Trying to figure out how to do the towns here; I'm looking for alternatives to the usual dot markers, mostly because I don't think I really pull them off well. Still thinking about it though; any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm also wondering about how to show that bits of the map are deserty or graslandy or what-have-you without resorting to color. (Eventually, I'm sure labels will be helpful, but that's for after I get all the features down correctly, hehehe.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keluniamapwip6.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	222.6 KB 
ID:	32139

I'm finally making a new brush set; I think this one is looking quite nice so far. I've finally figured out some mountains that I'm happy with. Once I feel like the set is finished, I'll put it up here and on deviantART as a resource, since my other one has done so well.

Thanks so much~
    North or south or east or west, where to point your shoes...?
    Which direction is the best?
    If the choosing gets confusing, maybe it's the map you're using....

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks like a fine start...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice work on the mountains and hills... I wish my hand-drawn ones looked half as good.

Very nice, I've never completed a map in this sort of style before, but I know what you mean about reworking things lots. You could perhaps make the town markers an "icon" of a little cluster of buildings. With a little wall if it's fortified. And then a couple of little huts would be a village. A little keep would mark a castle, and so on.

Guild Journeyer

Great start!

I love your hills!

Point of order on shading. Are not the shadows usually on the left side? Is their a generally accepted practice of where the shadows go?
    Obviously yours are consistent and fine. Just was wondering.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Maybe it's a sunset map
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Looking good so far StarRaven. Since you are making your own brushes for hills, mountains and trees, why not make some for towns and villages as well? Seems like it would fit in well with the hand-drawn motif of the map.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I don't think the position of the lighting is as important as the lighting being consistent. I don't think there's any particular reason for it. Do most maps have the light coming from the east? I hadn't realized. Hmm.

Yes, I planned on having hand-drawn town icons, I just wasn't sure what they should look like. Here's my ideas so far:
    Name:  townicons.PNG
Views: 404
Size:  14.5 KB

And on the map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keluniamapwip7.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	201.3 KB 
ID:	32174

I am considering writing in labels in that wonky symbol font in order to avoid having to come up with names. Just until I think of names, of course.
    North or south or east or west, where to point your shoes...?
    Which direction is the best?
    If the choosing gets confusing, maybe it's the map you're using....

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'm really digging that runic circle thingy in the background; makes the whole map really pop.