Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Union of Holy Kingdoms

Maybe if you had the hatchures thinner and much closer together? Worth a try?

I think the caterpillar mountains work OK -- it's that little bit of topographic data on what's a mostly political map. No doubt helps explain, in-story, why certain borders aren't contended, or are.

Really, in addition to the overall nice effect, what tickles me most is the whole-border scale bar. I'm gonna use that trick!

Fantastic map, Diamond! That is excatly the map I want to make for a long time, but didn't have the time for (or is not on top of my priority list). The font fits very well and I am glad you don't misused real coat of arms for this map (like the one of Northrine-Westphalia in your last ).
    I am also with Ravells on the mountains: Perhaps it will make a difference to turn each triangle 180°?
    WELL DONE!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I feel guilty about the fuzzy caterpillars - someone had asked once how to replicate an old map so I made the antique tutorial...this included the mountain style. I've always hated it but since it was there I did it that way to keep it authentic. So I say, "go on wid ya bad self" and keep 'em how ya want 'em. I've never seen another style that really fits those antique maps better without drawing too much attention to themselves. BTW, nice job, man.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

@Katto: I will sin no more, and create my own coats-of-arms from now on.

@Ascension: I'm experimenting with another style for the 'continuation' of this map; I'll post it in my UHK thread when I've got enough done to make it worthwhile to critique.

I put together a simple map showing the 'western' part of this world. Stuff on here is subject to change, but this is a basic layout.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western World.jpg 
Views:	1206 
Size:	692.6 KB 
ID:	32254  

Cool, i like it a lot. We seem to have the same taste in landmass-shapes ^^ Look forward to the development of this.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like western Europe and northern Africa with a larger Mediterranean. If that's intended then, nice, otherwise you might want to fiddle with it a bit more.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yep, it's intended. I subscribe to the Guy Gavriel Kay and Glen Cook method of fantasy world-building: it's much easier to start with Earth and re-envision it as another planet. If the map is similar and the cultures are similar, then the readers/viewers already have some preconceived notion of what the different areas might be like.

I hear you Diamond! That's also my preferred method. Maybe its because I'm lazy but I think it also makes for much more realistic and familiar worlds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast