Thread: What're friends for?

Default What're friends for?

No, really. I've received and accepted a few "friend" requests since I joined. It seems like a neat idea but I've never actively gone out and sent requests to others. Should I? Is there anything you can do with your "friends" once you've got them? Is it just a way to note to other users that they seem pretty cool and you'd have a beer with them if you weren't separated by teh Interwebz? What if I get rejected or ignored. Will I cry?
    M

I don't know but you never know when you might need spare friend
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gladly Accepting Friend Requests from other "dimensionally challenged people".....
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

99% of the time I totally forget about the friends thing, I consider most folks here friends by default since they get to know me just by reading what I write and I get to know them...I read every single post so I really get to know a personality. There are some dudes in my friends that no one has ever heard of but I did some work for them.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree with you mearrin, in facebook "friends" make sense since you get updates from friends, here I also concider most my friends, however I do find it nice to be asked for friendship (and be accepted) with people one corresponds with often. I'm guessing the reason the friend function is here is due to the forum to use it for some function or other if needed, such as who might see a thread or such
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The friend function provides a contact list of the people you would regularly message or otherwise wish to contact. Some boards (that would use similar software) have thousands of active members, so the friend function makes it easier to keep in contact. I like to keep abreast of the activities of the people who have gone to the effort to befriend me. And I send friendship requests to people who I find interesting and likeable. At this site I think it is more a sign of respect and/ or acknowledgement.
    Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to work I go..

I sent a friend request to Aval on my first day here - mostly because I was trying to figure out how to send him a private message to try to tease some of his forest-texturing wisdom out of him but I've found it a good way to bookmark people so I can quickly find what they're up to.

And Aval does seem very likeable so I think I'll keep him lol

The friend feature here helps update me with new posts from people who share some great advice or tutorials. Kinda like bookmarking or having a fave radio station. =) I don't expect them to help me 'personally' on any stuff. I just want to read their ideas to help me get started or just to keep me in touch with stuff people are interested in.