Thread: Problem drawing Parchment maps.

Guild Applicant

Default Problem drawing Parchment maps.

Hello, I'm trying to make my map with parchment. (Before I satisfied with white background.)
    But After I set some trees and mountains with brushes.
    don't know what parchment style is suitable....

What should I do...
    Advice, Please.;
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Attachment_1.jpg 
Views:	5740 
Size:	348.0 KB 
ID:	32179  
    Last edited by akang5728; 01-06-2011 at 08:40 AM.

If you go to the tutorials forum there are a few tutorials on making parchment backgrounds in photoshop / Gimp. I don't know what software you are using, it would help if you filled that in your user information so it appears under your name on the left hand side. Me, I'm lazy I don't make parchment from scratch, I just use pre-made parchments. If you google 'parchment texture' you'll find a ton of them (although keep an eye on the resolution - a parchment texture of 400 pix square is not going to look good stretched over a map 4,000 pix square). As an example, I've put a parchment texture on the layer above your map and set the texture to multiply. There are lots of different parchment textures to choose from!

Welcome to the Guild!

Name:	parchment.jpg 
Views:	2327 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	32181  

Guild Applicant

Wow,, thank you for the image!

One more question, please..
    How can I make shadow outer coast-line or... make parchment darken outer continent (sea).

P.s. I mostly use PS, but I installed Gimp.. just for case

No worries.

To make the sea dark, use the magic wand, (make sure the contiguous box is checked), make your map the active layer and click on the sea. This will create a selection for the sea only. Then use the paint bucket to fill with a darker colour (I used black) and lower the layer opacity to 50%. To get the lines around the coastline, keep your sea selection active and make another layer. Fill with white, choose the 'inner glow' layer style, choose the multiply blend mode, make the colour black and choose the 'precise' selection. For the contour make a custom contour with 3 'peaks'. There are plenty of ways in getting these effects, this is just one. Check out the tutorials section for others.

Name:	parchment_01.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	32182