Thread: Welcoming Commitee

Post Welcoming Commitee

Greetings Everyone

I just received CC3 and DD3 from Pro Fantasy for Christmas. I've always wanted to try may hand at using software to create all those places I've created in my head. Well the voices up there say I should. Hopefully I will be able to grasp the basics in order to form my questions intelligently. Good Luck to me. I am going to search for tutorial information as one of my first steps. I am glad that this forum exists or I most likely would flounder.

Post Hello!

Welcome Blakjack66! You have found the true path to map enlightenment and nirvana...

I'm kind of a newbie with CC3 as well, but as has been told here by those that know... follow the tutorial in the little start-up guides. If you've never used a CAD app before, it can be a little daunting, however, if you follow the included tutorials you should get up and running fairly quickly.

I'd say DD3 is a bit tougher than CC3, but do the tutorials, get a feel for it, then visit here frequently and post your questions. In a very short time you should be well on your way to creating awesome maps.

Once you get the hang of it, its just learning the whole system overtime to expand on your mapping skills. That's my 2 cents!
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Welcome to the Guild, Blakjak. Sounds like a fruitful Christmas--at least cartographically speaking.

This is a great place to learn the trade, ask questions, and talk to people who love mapping.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy your stay.

Welcome. As others said, follow the tutorials. Don;t be discouraged, and you will soon be good at CC3 and DD3. Ask questions, a lot of us here are somewhat pros with those programs.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Good luck with your new software, Blackjak. CC3 is capable of producing some stunning maps. What you can't do with CC3, you can probably use GIMP (which is a free open source version of photoshop) for, and it might be worth learning the two together. Oh, and welcome to our little corner of map-dom!

Post Thank you

Thanks Everyone
    I am an artist in my own mind. It will be nice to see how this translates to the screen. Is there a method for transferring pen & paper projects into the software via scans?

Indeed there is... sort of. You can scan your image and save as a bmp. You then insert the bmp as a background layer and trace over the top of it. I believe there is a section in the Quick start tutorials that walks you through the process. Of course you can also look in the Help topics where you'll find a ton of great information and as the others said, do the tutorials, they really are invaluable.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I forgot I wrote this up: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=896

It is a tutorial on how I convert my Pen-n-Paper maps to CC3/DD3 maps.

You should find this quite useful and helpful.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave