Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing... *thmph* *thmph*

Post Testing... *thmph* *thmph*

Uh. Hello. I, uh, already posted in another forum. Guess I'm doing things a bit out of order. Maps are interesting to me and, more importantly, to players. I found a tutorial about using clouds to make random coastlines over at Zombie Nirvana games and someone on another forum pointed me this way when I brought it up. So far, I've had some fun playing with that concept. I hope to pick up some more tricks. I guess I'll also have to plan a game that will let me use the more artistic style of maps that I find fun to make. So, uh... yeah. Hi.

Welcome to the group.

Using clouds for coatslines. I haven't thought about that for almost 25 years. I remember many a night/day as my family traveled back and forth across Canada on vacation and looking at the clouds thinking what cool D&D worlds they would make as coastlines.

That deserves some REP for bringing back fond memories.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Post Welcome.

117-

Welcome. You've come to a really cool place. Stick around; you might learn something...

Not from me, mind you, but from any number of amazing cartographers who lurk around here.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Welcome to the group.

Using clouds for coatslines. I haven't thought about that for almost 25 years. I remember many a night/day as my family traveled back and forth across Canada on vacation and looking at the clouds thinking what cool D&D worlds they would make as coastlines.

That deserves some REP for bringing back fond memories.
    Okay! That does it! I'm taking my camera outside and collecting some heightfields.

Hi, 117. Glad to have you. Welcome!

Hahaha on the clouds for coastlines bit from the others. 117 means PS's clouds filter as the basis for random coastlines. But then, you knew that, right?
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post

Hahaha on the clouds for coastlines bit from the others. 117 means PS's clouds filter as the basis for random coastlines. But then, you knew that, right?
    Sure, but when I was 15, there was the APPLE IIe and that was about it for home PCs. Didn't stop me from looking to the clouds for inspiration

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post

You think I'm kiddin' huh? Well I did actually go out and snap a couple of shots of the sky over beautiful Eugene, Oregon. The autofocus didn't capture the detailed tendrils, but it was still a medium decent shot. I stuck it in photoshop, reduced it to grayscale, healing-brushed out some bad pixels, and used a small gaussian blur to kill some graininess(the light sucked, and I didn't want to do a 3 second exposure freehand), and used levels to get the full gamut. Other than that, I didn't really modify it significantly before I sucked it into Bryce for this overhead shot.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...anebulala5.jpg

Looks promising to me. Even in this day of sophisticated computers and noise algorithms, the sky is still the limit. (You may groan at that.)

Bwahahahaha--that's awesome, su_liam!!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Good Job Su-Liam. Have some rep!

First, I'd like to thank the Academy(Neon Knight) both for this recognition and for the original idea. Y'all ROCK dude!

Secondly, props to 117 for his part in the idea as well as for introducing me to Zombie Nirvana with it's Fantasy Cartography podcast. Gotta learn something from that. Here you go...

That ends this thread hijack.

Welcome to the board 117. How did you find this place?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast