Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January 2011 Entry: No title yet

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Default January 2011 Entry: No title yet

I've been experimenting with more realism and I think I'm getting pretty close now. Since this is a points of light theme I've been wanting to test-drive some light effects. They might be too much but this is just me practicing. I want the pathway beams to be thinner but this is the general idea. The terrain is final (unless I get a new idea or someone sees something odd) since I'll spend the rest of the month coming up with names and practicing light techniques.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenie.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	32197  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Your first few light effects look really cool. And your names are possibly the greatest names ever

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Love the style. Love the names. Great job so far!

Gorgeous already. I'm still brainstorming my concept and here you are doing polish....sheesh.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well, in last month's challenge I finally decided to push myself a little further than what I usually do in sat-style so I learned some new things. I knew that I wanted to put some lights in my next map and my usual dark sat-style seemed the best candidate instead of hand-drawn. Antique might have worked, too - that whole glowing runes around the edges or magical incantation words thing - but I'm doing some new sat stuff and I'm hoping to go further there. I spent all day Sunday doing the terrain - mostly hand-painting with textured brushes and colors and getting the blend modes right...I had about 50 layers. Monday, I started the labels and I knew what I wanted for my town markers. Last night I did the lights. I'm going to label up the whole map, hopefully, and the trek will cross the continent to some really spooky place like The Titanic Temple of Epic Eczema. The hardest part is trying to be serious and use serious-sounding names - I just can't help myself but be weird but I'm so tired of the usual sounding stuff like Blackburgh (I'd go with Darkspookyburgh). I tend toward the literal side sometimes when I have no idea and since the theme this month has the word light in it I'm going overboard on light-this, light-that, light beams, lighthearted.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks great so far.

This is a neat challenge, wish my mapping mojo wasn't still a dry withered husk.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The lights are so pretty ... They are like my... my... my precious . Seriously though loving the light effects, very well done, I don't think I would stand a chance in a comp against stuff like this.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

*slaps forehead* Holy **** that is just too awesome..
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I love it, Asc, it looks like something from Final Fantasy -- just the right blend of photorealism with utterly fantastic effects. I really like the path and the start lights, keep those as you tweak

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast