Thread: January Entry:Heroes' Path

Default January Entry:Heroes' Path

This will be my first time entering a challenge and I decided to do a combination of traditional and digital. So I had a bit of time today and took it to tint and burn some paper. I have an old fountain pen and ink, so that is where I am going to start! I have a story in mind that will be driving the idea behind this map. I know only the map is being judged but I am certainly going to have fun with it anyway and collect what brownie points I can! ;P

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan_Cha_WIP.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	32204

I ended up finishing work early today which was great and gave me time to get out the pen and ink. I decided to do some work on my campaign world and this challenge by fleshing out another country. Two birds with one stone! So here is what I have thus far... I also realized that working with ink without something else to go off of is a bit of a silly idea so I am stopping here and calling this portion done. Plus I want to keep a few sheets of stained paper around for later use. I am going to photoshop in the paths next and then write out the story to accompany this.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Jan_Cha_WIP2.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	995.2 KB 
ID:	32219

So how did you tint and burn the paper, it looks great. You should consider digitizing a sheet of it for use as a background down the road.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

It took me a bit of time to get it right. I had tried tea, but that didn't work very well. So what did work was a bit of water in a cookie sheet with green and red food coloring for the brown tint. I just let it sit for a while then let it dry. As for the burns, I just lit a candle and burnt the paper. I will post some extra pics if people want to use it for a parchment texture.

Classes... They keep me busy! But on a really cool note, I am taking an information design class and one of the books we have to purchase is on maps and how information is organized. Quite relavant, so once I give it a read through, I will post about it here. There is also an assignment where we have to map out our kitchen and label (on a hidden layer) where everything goes. The we get other peoples maps and place the same labels where we think those items go. See who has the most intuitive kitchen

Needless to say, all these things are keeping rather busy. But I did squeeze in a bit of time to continue my map. Here is the progress thus far! I added the paths, a bit of color and to the side will be the story/ballad or some such thing that describes the path start and end.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Jan_Cha_WIP3.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	32514

I will be pulling out of the challenge, work loads in my classes have become to heavy, and I have taken on a rather large project. Unless people want to vote for what I have, I am pretty sure I will not win Hopefully I can enter another challenge in a few months when I have time over the summer.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That's a bummer, it's always a shame when our have-to-do's crowd out our want-to-do's Good luck with your classes and hope to see more work from you when you have more time!

Yep, we will see you on another day. I was just looking at this today and thinking, 'He might be onto something here.' Sorry you had to bail but it's understandable. Keep up the good work and don't be a stranger
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt