Thread: Caves of Chaos

Wip Caves of Chaos

This one is an experiment using some of the Bryce techniques discussed in some older Guild threads. I created a height field in Photoshop and imported it into Bryce. I created the caves in Bryce, too, but because of the top-down perspective and the deep shadows, they were rather lost. So it was back to Photoshop to add some post-render work.

I'm not happy with the circles. I feel like I'm cheating. Like I should be able to make those caves easier to distinguish from the rest of the ravine (making the circles unnecessary). Any thoughts or advice?

-R
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CavesChaos.jpg 
Views:	1029 
Size:	647.4 KB 
ID:	1986  
    Last edited by rlucci; 12-15-2007 at 02:55 AM.

Okay - so you don't like the circles.
    I guess it depends on what the map is for. If it is for the DM, having the circles there makes the caves easier to see, therefore that is a good thing. If it is for the players, i.e. they are flying overhead and this is what they see, then take out the circles. And if the players have difficulty spotting the cave entrances, then so be it. Nowhere is it written that features need to be easily seen.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that if this was a view for the players, it is better that some of the caves are hard to see. THAT is realistic.

Besides, its a very nice illustration. I wouldn't change it at all for the sake of cave entrance visibility.

One more thing - It makes perfect sense that caves would be hard to see in this erosion-prone environment. (I am assuming that the channeling is due to water run-off, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    That's the map from Keep on the Borderlands' isn't it?
    Yep. My first adventure from long ago. Still a source of wonder and creativity after all these years...

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I like the circles.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cartographist View Post
    I wouldn't change it at all for the sake of cave entrance visibility.
    Okay. Point taken. Maybe I got caught up in the effort.

Still, I came up with a couple more ideas to try while I was in the shower this morning (funny, that). I'll play with it a little more, but I have a better attitude about it now. Thanks, guys.

-R

Neato! I think that's pretty cool. I'm especially impressed you were able to do the PS to Bryce transition: I tried that exact thing a few weeks ago and failed miserably. Kudos for you.

Good points by TC (aka "Tim" ) on the purpose of the map issue. I agree.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Question

Yeah, yeah, I know this thread is old, but thats a nice map!! Is there one for the Players? With only the caves not hidden by trees showing?

Nice!