Thread: December/January Challenge: Mountainside Rest

Default December/January Challenge: Mountainside Rest

So I decided to join in this months challenge as well. Seeing as I don't have my PC up and running I am using my GF's laptop. Therefore to challenge myself I'm using GIMP freshly installed and will try and avoid using any outside material. Hopefully I make something respectful... Anyways unto setting the scene. This map is designed for epic level 4e adventurers and includes aerial combat. To reach the summit of Mount Celestia to speak to Moradin one must ride a griffin to it's summit. The journey to reach the summit is delayed and you must let the griffin rest to complete the last leg of your journey. As dawn approaches you are ambushed by unknown assailants and must defend yourself in the mist filled morning.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountain Side Rest.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	32237  
    Cheers, Julien

Battlemaps, Town Maps, Tutorials.
    All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

The more I look at it the more I think I should make it a tree. Not sure where I wanna go from here on out.
    Cheers, Julien

All my maps and content are posted and published under this Creative Commons License. Click Here for information on licensing.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool Idea !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

I think you might want to try and do something with the floor it's really tiled looking. If it is tile, then it seems an odd style of tile. (Hey that rhymed). Just my thought. It does make a great battle area.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

So I'm gonna switch this up and make it a huge tree. I just couldn't get it looking like a mountain side so I succumbed to my instincts to keep and just change the story. As for the tilling thats a product of working with low resolution textures and will have to do. Only concern I have at the moment with my revisions is that the pillars aren't translating their height well, unsure what to do there. Only a couple things to do left and it should be doneish (lightsources and lighting, griffin with bedding and various fungal growths or vegetation for difficult terrain). Let me know what you think.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	55 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	32376  
    Cheers, Julien

Is that bark along the outside? If so, that is one oddly shaped tree. I'm not sure I see that yet, but it doesn't change what you are doing imo. I like the idea of this "balcony" type thing. Might want to clean out some of the clouds that are over the map portion just a bit so it's easier to see clearly.

Need some Griffin-ish stuff...maybe a feather or some straw laying around.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

So after receiving a blast of criticism about changing the concept with wifey. I had to add tree elements to justify it or I wasn't allowed to continue with this months entry haha. Anyways here's the fruit of that change, hopefully now I can get to adding the fine details.

### LATEST WIP ###

Views:	74 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	32424  
    Last edited by geamon; 01-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Cheers, Julien

Hmm, you might want to try adding a few opaque leaves on top of the tree branches. I can see you have transparent ones above the branches (or maybe the branches are slightly transparent), but right now it looks like there are leaves only on the underside of the branches. Even just a light dusting with a textured scatter brush would probably do the trick.