Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dec 2010 / Jan 2011 Lite Challenge Entry: WIP Diomede Lake

Tents are looking incredible man! Though you should fix the rock to 10:00 of the campsite, its cutoff at the bottom and looks way out of place. Other than that this is great.

Guild Member Facebook Connected

So I added in wagons, and a place to hitch the horses behind the rock at 11:00 from the camp.
    I also added in a few boulders. Now, forage and brush. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can draw an quaking aspen grove?

### latest wip ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Diomede Lake WIP Day 6.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	32258

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

No idea on the aspens, sorry -- but this is looking great so far. My only suggestion would be that you still have a few hard lines in there from your tiling; you might want to smudge those out. They're subtle, but they tend to catch the eye. I love the footprints, you can almost see the campers trudging around making them!

Very good job! Though I think the footprints on the lake should be a bit lower in opacity, lakes usually have less snow on top and more ice. Other than that and a few other minor things, this is looking awesome!

Actually, I would say with a pond that size, there would be a pretty much equal amount of snow on as the surrounding area. A pond that small could very well have frozen entirely before the first snowfall. It really is looking good though! I wouldn't worry about changing anything about the pond.

@Jaxilon: I'm using Photoshop CS3, and a Wacom Bamboo tablet.

I used the warp tool to give the canvas tops of the tents and the wagons that "saggy" look, and then used 2 Adjustment layers set to "Exposure" (1 Hilight, 1 Shadow) to accentuate the shading.

I went and added in the shrubbery, the trees are just random lines with some tree-like shadows painted. I'm not really satisfied with them, but I've never seen a tree from the top down in any way I can visualize or use as a reference. Areal photos maybe? Hmm... Have to hunt for something like this. The boulders look better with the trees, anyway.

Any ideas on additions before I begin my night-tinting pass?

### latest wip ###

Name:	Diomede Lake WIP Day 7.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	32277

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks Amazing. the only very tiny thing I can see is that you have a wagon track running off the top of the map. Simply awesome
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Woww, thats great!

Default December / January Challenge: Diomede Lake (Day / Night)

I'm going to claim this is finished.

Day Version (Final):

Name:	Diomede Lake Day Final.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	32280

### Latest WIP ###
    Night Version (Final):

Name:	Diomede Lake Night Final.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	32281

Wow, this turned out so good, I really hope you win this one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast