Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unnamed - Various Styles

Quote Originally Posted by aeronox View Post
    Eilathen: which yellow/orange? On the title/compass or the desert?
    The desert yellow/orange. It just comes off too strong for my taste...especially considering the more subtle greens. But as i said, this is just a matter of taste...and if you want the map to look more "modern art"-style, then this is doing it, i'd say
    Last edited by Eilathen; 12-20-2007 at 06:44 AM.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

I have a couple geographical questions to consider. And please feel free to correct me (anyone) for I am not in any even tiny way a geographer--just a guy who likes art and maps.

First, are there enough rivers and water to support such a lush area as is depicted? Normally, this sort of place will have many, many, many both justifying the "green" and explaining where the rain goes that supports it. This will depend upon the scale, of course, but judging from your moutnains and such it seems a valid question.

Also, you have lakes fed by rivers, but no other outlets. This is, of course, possible, but without odd/unique circumstances, won't river-fed lakes overflow into streams and such running into the sea. (I pose this question mainly because I live by the Great Lakes, but I am unsure and will do some checking).

I really must compliment you on your mountain texture; it is one of the few cases in which I really, really like the use of PS's powers in this regard: they look very believable and not like big crumpled pieces of papers or chiseled blobs. But, you include no other elevations, such as hills, valleys, and such. It seems highly unlikely to me that there would be mountains on flat plains (though, of course, it's possible.)

Finally, I agree with the others that the color choices are about 10% too bright. I like how vibrant things are, but this is just a hair's breadth over the edge, IMO.

I hope these questions--even if completely rejected by you--were at least a tad helpful. You have a nice style. I likey!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    First, are there enough rivers and water to support such a lush area as is depicted? Normally, this sort of place will have many, many, many both justifying the "green" and explaining where the rain goes that supports it. This will depend upon the scale, of course, but judging from your moutnains and such it seems a valid question.
    I will be adding more rivers. It's funny how I came to this realisation: I wanted more political separation. And I didn't have enough rivers, either as borders or as simple indicators of abundant population.

Also, you have lakes fed by rivers, but no other outlets. This is, of course, possible, but without odd/unique circumstances, won't river-fed lakes overflow into streams and such running into the sea. (I pose this question mainly because I live by the Great Lakes, but I am unsure and will do some checking).
    Water can erode its own path, yes, but it is still subject to the lay of the land. If there is enough water to fill a lake, without overflowing it, but not too little to evaporate, then I suppose it is possible.

I really must compliment you on your mountain texture; it is one of the few cases in which I really, really like the use of PS's powers in this regard: they look very believable and not like big crumpled pieces of papers or chiseled blobs. But, you include no other elevations, such as hills, valleys, and such. It seems highly unlikely to me that there would be mountains on flat plains (though, of course, it's possible.)
    Thankyou. What is a mountain, what is a hill? I have use the same layer and brush for both, simply lowering opacity for hills - and in effect lowering the bump-map, and decreasing the amount of relief shading on that section. I could make another layer for hills, and make them rounder.. but I wouldn't think it's really necessary. There is a bump-map covering the whole map, all within the mountains layer - however the lower altitudes are at extremely low opacity.

Finally, I agree with the others that the color choices are about 10% too bright. I like how vibrant things are, but this is just a hair's breadth over the edge, IMO.
    I'll take note. However I must say that the fantasy cartographer's addiction to dull, dreary tones is something I'm trying to avoid here. It is supposed to jump out at you, so that if you had it printed and pinned to your wall, your eye would keep going back to it. I wouldn't find myself doing that with Middle Earth.

Thankyou all for such constructive criticism, and please keep it coming.

Holy S***... this is so awesome, I'd tattoo that on my back.

Can't say anything else. Looks marvellous - at least, excels in making people uttering compliments by overwhelming them.

But I mean it the way I say it. I'd agree on the rivers bit - especially when you put so much effort into Wind Effects and Precipitation. But it - the coloured map without text - is still great, even without them visible.

And the google-earthish zooming in on the greyscale map is made of win.

Thanks Baziron! I can't wait to use the google-earthish thing for my finished map!

Yesterday I was driving my brother's car, and he has a GPS navigation system. I zoomed into inland Australia (just to see how detailed the map database was), and was really surprised to see rivers everywhere.

So i'll definitely be creating alot more rivers, especially in the north.

And while I'm at it i'll look at making the lower altitude hills more visible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123