Thread: Emperian City - Commission

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Emperian City - Commission

This is the wip thread for Tower of Nitar.
    As I post this I am actually pretty close to wrapping the project up.
    I had no intention of being this far along... I should still be in the sketching phase, but like a book that's too good to put down this project wouldn't let me do anything else til it was done.
    Not saying that the end result is that good, it's just I couldn't stop working on it.

The post will be broken down into 4 phases:
    1. the sketch idea phase
    2. revised sketches early work
    3. maps almost complete
    4. maps with layout and nearly finished work.

So Phase one. The initial concepts I had were not very close to what the client wanted, not to say that what I ended up running with is the right choice either. Once I got some new info from the client I revised my thoughts and tackled the initial sketches in Cararra, a 3d app. The complexity of the piece was a bit daunting. To make sense of it I needed to see something I could work from. Now the maps are very abstract ideas that make sense of the mess that is this structure. To really map something like this would take months. It's basically the idea of the Chinese apartments (Kowloon) gone rampant, layers and layers of buildings built on top of each other and the ruins of an old city. I decided that despite that various layers involved I would just do the 5 tiers (8 slices) that were required.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch2.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	32260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch1.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	32261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-01-08 at 4.42.05 PM.png 
Views:	181 
Size:	281.9 KB 
ID:	32262