Thread: Lurker New to Digital Mapping

Guild Novice

Map Lurker New to Digital Mapping

Hey Guys,

I've been lurking after finishing three projects I felt I would introduce myself. I go by ninefolddragon here. I'm a writer and gamer and have put together an alien custom world. Because I didn't know any artists I had to sort of throw things together myself. I have followed some of the awesome tutorials on here to work on my maps. They are all firsts though so I'm sure I messed up. One tutorial was for photoshop and I use gimp so I had to fudge.

The reasons the maps are red instead of green is because the world orbits a white star and the foliage there is red instead of green. So if you imagine vast crimson forests that is what I'm going for. The city of Gatefall isn't quite complete but I needed some help on it anyway.

Anyways great to meet you all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Silver Vale2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	507.8 KB 
ID:	32283   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gatefall.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	429.7 KB 
ID:	32284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_of_novendragos.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	32285  

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome To The Guild and Very Nice work !!
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome to the Guild, and have some rep for posting maps in your first post!

These look pretty good at first glance; the only one I have trouble with is the leftmost (regional?) map. It's really small and I want to zoom in, for one thing. The only other suggestion I'd have is to tone down your color scheme on that one a bit. With the red land, yellow and blue are a pretty jarring combination for the place names. Maybe desaturate the yellow to a light grey?

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Welcome to the Guild, and have some rep for posting maps in your first post!

These look pretty good at first glance; the only one I have trouble with is the leftmost (regional?) map. It's really small and I want to zoom in, for one thing. The only other suggestion I'd have is to tone down your color scheme on that one a bit. With the red land, yellow and blue are a pretty jarring combination for the place names. Maybe desaturate the yellow to a light grey?
    Thanks for the tips! I used 500x500 px because the tutorial I used used that. I agree that yellow and blue are jarring... I couldn't find a color scheme where I could both see the text and have it stand out. I'll try the light gray.

Guild Novice

The light gray does look nicer.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

After seeing some of the other cities that have been done I realize I have to start from scratch. I knew I had a problem with the city blocks but they look positively awful compared to the likes of Sheinar!

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave