Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2011 Challenge - Escape the Estate

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Big robots attacking dudes with pitchforks and axes - nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Okay, now the real work begins, adding lighting effects. I've added the hero and heroine and doubled the number of rioters, even gave them a cannon so they have a fighting chance. The first pic is the scene during the day, the second is the night conversion, hunting for good fiery lighting effects now. More to come soon. Shrunk the maps down to the size they should be at the end, may increase size as I go along.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estate Escape Day.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	32832   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estate Escape Night.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	32833  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 01-27-2011 at 05:40 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I might be tempted to leave a very little bit of the day colors come through. Top layer filled with black (or white), blend mode of color - this makes everything grayscale. Add a layer style of color overlay and pick a blue color, blend mode of color - now everything is blue. Now decrease the opacity of color overlay a bit and then the layer itself and keep messing around until just a little bit of the day colors come through. I say this because some of the details are getting lost.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think I agree with what Ascension is saying. Sure, realistically in the dead of night, there would be little to see but silhouettes but that doesn't make for a very interesting looking map. Once you pop your light sources in though it might be better off. I guess what I would try to do is give the idea of darkness but make fake it so you can still show off your colors.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Good thing I saved the daylight pic to a separate file because I'm not too convince, it was a nice tut and a nice effect but just not effect I was really going for, it worked well on my avatar though.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Small update, change the blue to more of a softer dusk/full moon out effect rather than a dead of night purple, now there is some more variation in colour. Also added the bases for the fires, some glow on the windows and the glow to the protags, will add more lighting effects after I can come up with a suitable glow for the golems and rioters. Also need to add a reflection of the moon to the lake and some ripples. More to come soon.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	53 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	32876  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

that looks much better.

Thank you. Added some more fires, darkened the water, added a glow to the orange areas of the golems and a kind of torchbeam effect for them. Did some light pouring out of the window, sinse their was going to be two large blobes of it I made it quite subtle. I'm now starting to add the lights for the torchbears, more difficult than the golem lights becuase of a different colour and the fact that the torchbearers seems to group together, like in the centre, so we have multiple light sources. Will add more and clean it up by the next update which should be tommorow.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	55 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	32882  

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, had to really change the lighting because the current glows where causing some rather ugly effects when overlapped over the green areas and I don't have the skill to do all the lighting and shading effects purely by hand. I think I'll leave the lighting as it is, will go back to do some cleanup but now I'm moving on to the next step. Just need add in some details like a border, maybe add a moon and then add some text, the text is going to be used to cover up and distract people from some of the uglier lighting hiccups *cough, bottom left, cough cough*. I'm also going back and doing some more general cleanup like the white grass near the centre. Here's hoping that my next update will be my last. More to come soon.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	46 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	32919  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 01-27-2011 at 05:41 AM.

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Okay, barring the discovering of some major flaw in the pic this will be my final update. Added a black border, title and some instructional text as well as the start/end points. Thanks go to everyone who gave some input and constructive criticism.

Before I go, I have a question. Can you help the hero escape?

-D-

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	101 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	32978  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 01-30-2011 at 06:52 AM.

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast