Thread: January 2011 Challenge - Escape the Estate

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default January 2011 Challenge - Escape the Estate

I hope it's not too late top jump into this month's comp and I hope this idea counts. With my other mapping attempts on near permanent standstill I thought I'd give this comp a try. This idea came from reading those old picture puzzle/adventure books back in school, you know the ones where you had to guide your protagonists through a maze and things like that. Since the guidelines said any scale so long as it had obstacles and a path leading from Point A to B I thought I'd try and create one of those mazes myself. First some brief back story. Our young "hero" and his friend were visiting the estate of a local cranky miser, the hero wanted to see his girlfriend, a serving girl for the miser, and the friend wanted to get into the wine cellar. That night unfortunately the estate workers started a riot, being tired of their low wages and bullying boss and furious at finding out that the miser was going to emply his son, Manfriedo the Wizard, to create a workforce of golems to replace the estate workers. Now the hero and his girlfriend must get back to his friend down by the lake and escape the estate in a rowboat. To get there they must navigate through the dark maze of hedgerows and walls while dodging the rioters and angry golems. I also wanted to include the "points of light" but with a catch, in this maze you would want to avoid the lights as they either denote the locations of the rioters or a place where the golems can find you.

The style for this map was inspired by Larb's Gensokyo map. Please note that the below sketch is VERY rought, I quickly scribbled it out on paper during a lull at work. I plan to add a hell of a lot more details, as well as a more paths and many more baddies. I don't expect to be doing much over the next few days so I should have a much better sketch up maybe by tommorow. I know the sketch of the hero and his girlfriend are terrible zoomed in but when you look at it on a a4 page I thought it looked kind of cute, but that's just me.

-D-

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estate Escape Plan.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	32286  
    Last edited by LonewandererD; 01-27-2011 at 05:36 AM.
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...