Thread: Summerlands Before the Breaking

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Default Summerlands Before the Breaking

This is a historical (centuries old) map of the prime material plane of the Planescape-ish world I'm building for a 4e game. A few years after this map was made (and despite the annotations it is indeed incredibly accurate), the War of the Covenant resulted in the breaking of the world and the retreat of the gods to their own plane permanently (yeah, I know, that particular concept isn't very original, but it's very handy for explaining ruins for adventurers to plunder). Next is the current map of the known world, and I may decide to get artsy with the planar structure and post that up eventually too.

A few map-related factoids about cosmology/geology/etc.:
    • The world is indeed flat.
    • Light is provided by eight divine torches (one for each of the major gods of light). At regular intervals throughout the day, a torch is lit/extinguished, so time is measured by how many torches are currently lit, i.e. First Torch, Second Torch, ... Midday, .... and I'm still working on names for the segments of daylight, but that should convey the idea.
    • The nighttime sky has no stars or moon; instead it looks a bit like a constant, faint, multicolored Aurora -- without the blazing torches overpowering everything, the dancing/frolicking/working/blah-blah of the celestial horde is faintly visible.
    • The torches are centrally placed with respect to the material plane, so from any point not directly in the shadow of a mountain/building etc. one can clearly see all 8 torches (if lit). They're basically stationary, miniature suns. When the cities of the gods were directly beneath them, the gods kept the innermost lands from being blasted by the heat, but this is no longer the case. Now the land directly beneath the torches is pretty much scorched.
    • Wind and weather are at the mercy of the gods, their lieutenant demigods, and elementals coming to the material plane to play.

The cities and roads will gain labels as I work on the next map (after the breaking), and the whole thing needs aging. Annotations will also get added as I work on the rest, but this is done enough to post, I think. Everything so far is today's work, using the quickie methods in my hand-drawn tut.

Comments, suggestions, questions etc. are always appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeforePost1.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	32292