Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2011 Challenge: To Ravenkhor

Nothing is written in stone on this and I'm open to suggestions but this is what I've been up to when I've had the chance the last few days. I have a bunch more illustrations to do and might need to tweak some of these now that I see them in small size. Also, I'm about ready to see if I can NOT screw it up when I label the areas. Still have to create an icon for RavenKhor as well.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EverFramed.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	32542  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Got a few more sketches in there. I like the Snakeman myself. I started adding labels as well, which I'm still not comfortable with but oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe it has something to do with my stupid inkscape crashing half the time when I'm sizing up my labels...grrrr. Also, I've been playing around with the light colors.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	57 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	32694  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

wow, nice artistic ability you have there Jax. The sketches are awesome. Is that repeating dome building just a place holder for other sketches?

Your map is looking great. Looks like a piece of art. Sorry if you mentioned already, but how are you going to incorporate the "nasties" into the map?

It's all really good, but I especially like that bit on the right with the multitude of scattered islands. I don't think we put enough scattered islands in our maps!

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

@RjBeals - It depends on how many sketches I can get done. So far those have ranged in size from 2 x 3 to full 8.5 x 11 inches. Originally I was thinking to have sketches go all the way around. The Bearing Stations are what guide you through the area and make for a sort of rest area between navigating the nasties. I'm not sure if I will keep them like that or just show one at this point. As you can see on the map there are a bunch of them so it seems fitting. Open to suggestions on this however. I do have to start planning my time line in order to wrap this all up for the deadline.

I am also thinking about putting a little icon in the corner of each sketch and then showing those icons on the map to indicate that particular monster's domain. I'll have to see how that looks I guess.

I got a few more of the illustrations done and moved things around a bit so I know how many more I need to go. I've got to come up with something for the corners but I'm not sure what. Perhaps something to do with the moon since that's all that shines upon this area of the world... I could also mention that I did look at a couple monster manual images for reference but changed a lot as I made my own sketches before scanning them in and painting them. I just don't have that many monsters in my head and I don't have time to dream up a whole bunch.

### Latest WIP ###

PS. Interestingly this was the first time I've had a thumbnail issue since the change and it happens on a file that is 2.13mb and larger...as soon as I dropped it below 2.1mb things worked. That may be incidental but I am pretty sure that's been the case with me before. Just something to keep an eye on I guess. I tried 4 times before I lowered the quality so it was closer to 2mb.

Views:	56 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	32731  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 01-20-2011 at 02:42 AM.

Made little icons to indicate the various areas creatures inhabit. The icons correspond to the illustrations. I could drop an icon in the corner of each illustration to help tie them in but it seems unnecessary. I dropped in a Moon I created using Vue and tweaked it in Gimp.

In putting the icons down things felt crowded so I started fiddling around to see if I could help the map "pop" a bit more. I now have a dark version and a light version. I could use some help in deciding which direction I should proceed with as I am uncertain. The first, darker map or the 2nd brighter more saturated? Perhaps something in between?

Name:	EverFramedBrite.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	32780   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	53 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	32784  
    Last edited by Jaxilon; 01-22-2011 at 04:53 AM.

I prefer the darker one, but that's just me. Looking good mate.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

More labels, a sketch of the gates. Settling in on color schemes.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	58 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	32804  

A bit more..step by bleeding step. I'm pretty happy with how my sketches are turning out. I just have to make sure I don't overwhelm the map with them.

Also created a Lunar Cycle chart.

Hmmm, not sure if the scroll is going to work, I can barely read it myself.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	54 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	32829  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast