Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yet Unnamed Single Continent [First Map]

Thank you jtougas.
    "Be Yourself - everyone else is reserved already..."

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This is looking really good, narogi! My only real issue is that you seem to have some fairly large rivers flowing through the desert. Wouldn't that greenify at least the area close to the rivers? Like the Nile valley? Then again, I'm not a desert expert so I may be off base. Also ... would a floating continent cast a shadow on the clouds? Maybe a really blurred, really offset drop shadow might be appropriate.

Yeah about the rivers in the desert I was thinking a lot too.
    I will definitely add some green to it.
    Especially, because the deserts on the continent are not really hot but dry instead.
    I am planning some vegetation too around the desert rivers, but not so dense forests, as on the more wet western part of the continent.
    I am still not sure about the cloudy thing...
    My current concept is, that my world does not have a usual sky.
    Instead there are clouds all around the continents below and above, and the light source is the cloud itself.
    When its daylight the clouds are shiny and have a bit of glitter, or radiation.
    Maybe it could have a color too which is correspondent to the actual part of the day, or to different parts of the world.
    It has the side effect too, that there could be rain or real thunderstorms by daylight, because there isn't a light source that the clouds could "hide" from observers on the continent.
    But that means too that the light comes from all directions, so there is no shadow at all in this world and the continent itself drops no shadow.
    Of course it means too, that on this world there are no stars, or whatever to help the navigation between two floating continents or isles.
    On that problem i still need to work...

As always, thanks for reading.
    Last edited by narogi; 01-28-2011 at 05:49 AM.

Hello again,

it took a while, but now I have finished the landscape the forests included.
    I also added some green grass and foliage in the desert around the rivers.
    In the next step I will make a brief pause, because I need to think about the placing of all my settlements and major roads.
    I will have seven major countries in this continent and I need finalize the country borders too.

So as always thanks for reading and check the latest version below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unlabeled.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	33219

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This is quite cool, narogi. Sorry but I'm part Polish so I always think of pierogi Anyway, I like how you are doing the flood basins in the deserts, I like the forests, I like the mtns, I like the big delta-swamp thingy in the middle. Two things kinda buggin me - the mtns seem a lil blurry compared to the forests and I really feel off-kilter with that big lake in the middle and empty air surrounding the continent. But anyway, I still think it's pretty cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the kind words Ascension,
    with the mountains I am still a bit unsure. I tried to make them a bit sharper, but it had a side effect with the coloring that I not really liked. Since then I had not the enthusiasm to re-do all my mountains again. But I will definitely think about it...
    I thought a lot about the whole flying continent concept too. On a flying landmass, there is always the problem, that the water is gone someday, or you need a wet enough climate to support the rivers due the rainfall.
    The other thing that I should consider is, that the inhabitants of my world have very strong connections to the classical elements from which the realm is made of.
    That means, that I needed a relative big open water for my water-related race and it seemed a good idea, to put that big lake in a very big basin in the middle of the continent.
    Currently I am thinking about the erosion and tectonics on a world like this..
    Strong erosion simply means that the world is practically dying, and the flying continents mean the lack of tectonic moves and volcanic activity.
    I need to work a lot on these details, I think...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There's always the fall-back positions - "it's fantasy" or "the gods made it that way". Personally, I don't have any problems with floating things from a theoretical standpoint. I just keep wanting to see waterfalls falling of the edge...maybe enclose that part, shrug. I totally get the "I needed a big water area for a certain religion" thing. Maybe put a shadow underneath the land it will help. I may be the only one all weirded out so it's not a real big deal.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12