Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: A Map of Ilaros

Sular - REALLY nice. The map is beautiful. I concur with your earlier comment about the trade routes, but, frankly, so what if the dashes aren't perfectly uniform. It was hand-drawn afterall.

Another thing: Looking at the full package, with all of the additions that you've made, I don't think that you need the political zones in the oceans. Not at this scale. Perhaps, if you were to do smaller scale maps of some of the archipelagic regions, you might want to add it, but with this map, why? It's not necessary.

Have you tried importing the trade routes from Illustrator or some other vector program that handles dashed lines? If you have Illustrator, open up a jpeg of the map, and crank out the lines with the pen tool and then dash them til your heart's content. Select the linework copy and then paste in PS. Select as pixels and viola, linework dashed and ready.

That is how I would do it.

These are really looking nice. Anyone who deals with these maps should be thankful that you have put this amount of time and energy into the product.
    Something witty and pithy

I must say, this has come quite a long way from the first incarnation of your political map! Bravo!

I'm not that familiar with photoshop, but can't you create a series of paths and stroke along them with a brush to make the dotted/dashed lines? IIR, create a custom brush and make it a squished square, then set the spacing to > 100% to get the spacing you want. Lastly, go into the shape dynamics, and set the control mode (method?) to "direction". You might have to turn jitter of, too.

Not sure what version that was for, though...someone else should be able to confirm.

-Rob A>

Oh yes, this is really good.

@RobA: Thanks for providing a hunch of how to make PS do dotted lines. I'll give it a try ASAP, having had trouble with that myself.

Gosh that's utterly beautiful. The map looks perfect to me. The only thing that looks a bit jarry (not sure why) is the border. I think it just looks a little big and clumsy next to map itself. Also just check the line width of the borders, the Adir city states one is heavier, but there may be a reason for this.

this map is just wow, though. Fabulous work.

Thanks to everyone for your help with the maps (especially the political one). I'm quite happy with it and although I am sure it will undergo some minor tweaking, I think it is essentially finished.

I will be doing more detailed maps of Ilaros and its countries and regions in the future and other maps from this project may make their way to the the fora for comment.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sular View Post
    I will be doing more detailed maps of Ilaros and its countries and regions in the future and other maps from this project may make their way to the the fora for comment.
    Well i really hope they will all make their way to the forum. Keep them coming...
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345