Thread: Regions of Reltonia

Wip Regions of Reltonia

Hello, friends. Here is a new map style I'm fiddling with. Originally it was to be a part of my December Challenge entry, detailing the locations of the pirates' cove and their "hunting grounds" (i.e., shipping trade routes), but I may not use it for that purpose now, so I decided to post here and ask for general input.

As you can see, this map relies on a monochromatic color scheme and mainly ragged brushes. I used a fine, cursive font to counterbalance the otherwise dabbed and slipshod tone. Although the darker water colors are intended to suggest depth and the lighter land is intended to suggest mountainous terrain, this is obviously a political map, without detailed geographical features other than coastal formations.

I am pretty happy with the end results, but any suggestions or criticisms would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regions_of_Reltonia copy.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	785.3 KB 
ID:	1997  
    Last edited by pyrandon; 12-17-2007 at 05:09 PM.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Don-

The water and coastline work well for me, but mountain suggestion gets lost. At first glance it comes across more as a random paper texture than something suggesting terrain. Just my 2 bits/25 worth.

I really do like the water though - was it just grunge painted by hand or was there something procedural to it?

-Rob A>

I find it difficult understanding what is land and what is water in this map. Even though it has text on the land regions, I think the water texture can confuse. In addition, you could reduce the amount of 'tearing' along the left edge of the map, where the land is, and this will help make the land easier to recognise at first glance.

It might also be because you've put it all on a black background - and your land is black. Usually what you see on the edges of a map, the brain takes it as 'water'. Yeah i'm sure this is it.

I think toning down the color of the land might work as well. It seems to weigh down the left hand side of the map. I think you might need to model the text somewhat as well. The crispness of the text seems to conflict with the overall weathered appearance, that is just my opinion though.

I like the idea of a map on dark media, especially one where the water is brighter than the land. That is the map style of a sea born scourge. Where the sea exists, their prey exists as well, land is unknown and foreboding. If this is to be a navigational map for water based predators, I would push the western continent even further to the margins to emphasize the water area (and most tasty shipping routes. Also, you may want to add currents in white much like rivers on a land map. Pirates would want that information readily available.

I really like this map, I feel it is very well done. I also feel that if you push it a bit further, you can have something really special and extremely unique.

I suggest you push it further by treating the water as the important information. maybe you delineate the political boundaries of the sea. Where do the Fyhmal Corsairs hold sway, where would you find Theilipian Privateers? Is there a swift current that takes you from the north to the southeast? Often times in maps water is taken for granted, but a map for a pirate game... oh, that could be a different story.
    Something witty and pithy

I agree with mmmmmpig, I really like this map. As a handout of some treacherous pirate infested waters it gives the right mood.

Like real naval charts you have toned down the landmass and focused on the waters. What I lack are some details like harbours, navigational hazards etc. Develop some symbols to go with the style and you have a winner in my opinion.

//Anna

Thank you so much for all your input--very, very helpful. I will definitely be thinking about playing with this map in the future, but I need to set it aside for a short while: I'm still too attached, too "close" to it right now to do some serious editing.

Thanks again!

PS: Rob, nothing procedural in that water: just painted in light layers using two different grunge brushes, with the land layer placed on top. Easy-cheesy.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]