Thread: Snow Covered Road

Guild Member

Wip Snow Covered Road

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowy road.png 
Views:	164 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	32480Hi,

I have never really done much with snow before and seem to have hit some snags. I am creating a snow covered road encounter. There will eventuall be an inn on the right side of the map and a park or some otheropen space on the left. This is a small town wih only dirst roads and I am trying to represent the rough wagon ruts in the road too. Any advise about how to improve the look of either snow or road would be a great help. I use GIMP.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	snowy road.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	451.1 KB 
ID:	32479  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Well, your color scheme looks good, but it looks very blurry. Try adding some RGB noise and/or sharpening it up a bit, and that'd be a start; unfortunately I'm not the best artist on the boards so I don't have much more in the way of advice to offer.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It looks pretty good I like the ruts I think like Gidde said if you could sharpen it up and maybe try a highlight layer for some shading on the snow. Good work
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

I tried to add texture as well as some set pieces. The road is still blured if you view at the actual size of the image. Not sure how to fix it without starting over completly.

Name:	snowy road.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	628.0 KB 
ID:	32489

Looks much better, I like the texturing, and the road is actually much more defined than it was. The set pieces are a big help as well. Now the terrain has a watercolor feel to it rather than an I-forgot-my-glasses feel Keep up the good work!

Blog Entries

You have it now. It looks great
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Guild Member

Wip

OK, I had scale issues with the road so I just scraped it and started over. I like this much better in the end. Comments?

Name:	snowy road2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	353.2 KB 
ID:	32510

Blog Entries

The scale is better but the road seems a little too "sharp" now I think you need to blur it out from the center to blend it into the terrain I still think this is a great project keep it up

Finished Maps

Guild Member

Wip

I blured the road some. More? I am having trouble deciding.

Name:	snowy road2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	347.3 KB 
ID:	32512

I like the amount of blur you have, now you just need some depth. If you duplicate the road, desaturate the new one, put it over white and emboss the end product, then overlay your map with it, you'll get some nice deep ruts to go with the great coloring. If you need more walkthrough on the steps, just ask

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast