Thread: [WIP] Map of Amalga

Default [WIP] Map of Amalga

Here's is a blank version of a new map I am developing. I'm looking for some feed back with the aim of improving the map.

EDIT: For some reason my map won't upload, so here's a link to the picture on Deviant Art:

The Link

Last edited by elemental_elf; 01-14-2011 at 01:21 AM.

This is looking really good. I don't see any problems with the rivers (!! I am not a riverologist !!). What is the scale? Is this a big island, a continent? What are those circles?

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Looks good to me. I like the color palette and your watersheds look good. I too am intrigued by the circles and the all-important scale What software are you using for this one?

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looks very good.
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Colors are great and the rivers are my fave part here (except the thick parts should probably taper off instead of ending abruptly). Not sure why some of the islands have white rings and the others don't. So far so sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you all for posting, I really appreciate each and every post!

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    This is looking really good. I don't see any problems with the rivers (!! I am not a riverologist !!). What is the scale? Is this a big island, a continent? What are those circles?
    Thank you!

I don't have the scale quite figured out but the "continent" is roughly a million square miles. So not huge but still fairly large.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Looks good to me. I like the color palette and your watersheds look good. I too am intrigued by the circles and the all-important scale What software are you using for this one?
    Thank you!

The circles demarcate areas where Archmagi levitated whole mountain ranges to form their own personal floating islands (which are not pictured in the map). The spells used were of epic proportion and their after-effects (including what can be described as a lighter gravity, which allows the flora and fauna in the areas to grow to substantially larger than any where else on the continent) linger. Actually the only reason I included the circles was to let the viewer know that the 5 big (for a lack of a better term) "crop circles" on the map was indeed intentional.

EDIT: I am using CS3 to create this map.

Quote Originally Posted by jtougas View Post
    Looks very good.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Colors are great and the rivers are my fave part here (except the thick parts should probably taper off instead of ending abruptly). Not sure why some of the islands have white rings and the others don't. So far so sweet.
    My next goal is to make the larger rivers taper off and form deltas

The islands with the white rings represent islands that are mingled between the other planes and the material plane. Basically, they're islands where the inland portions are much, much larger than their shorelines (as seen from the outside) appear to be.
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 01-16-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Ok so I updated the map, adding in more lakes and making most of the rivers taper off. I tried a few different ways to taper the rivers off including more delta-like and wider endings, so let me know if you like either/or.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amalga with better rivers.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	32687
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 01-18-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Sidenote, I would really, really suggest that you switch from .png to .jpg at this point. You are using a paperizing texture, and there are no more areas of uniform colour, so there is nothing to lose if you post a slightly lossy .jpg instead of a 16 meg .png online.

Quote Originally Posted by Naeddyr View Post
    Sidenote, I would really, really suggest that you switch from .png to .jpg at this point. You are using a paperizing texture, and there are no more areas of uniform colour, so there is nothing to lose if you post a slightly lossy .jpg instead of a 16 meg .png online.
    I suppose you're right

I edited the previous post, putting in a JPEG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Amalga with better rivers.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	32686  
    Last edited by elemental_elf; 01-18-2011 at 08:17 PM.