Thread: Heya Everyone!

Guild Novice

Map Heya Everyone!

I just thought I'd say a quick hello to everyone at the Guild.

I am new to cartogragphy but have been interested in it since childhood from way too much time spent playing RPGs. I am still learning the quirks of Photoshop and joined the Guild in hopes I can pick up a few tips. Based on the quality of maps found on the Cartographers Choice page, I'm sure this will not be problem. There are some really talented individuals here.

Since I didn't think it would be appropriate to join without bringing something to the table I have attached my very first map which I have made for a Pathfinder RPG adventure which I have been working on in my spare time. The desaturated colors are intentional as they suit the mood I was going for. It is a work in progress but I'm sure you've heard that many times before. Constructive criticism is always appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rag-end Orphanage.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	32505  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Welcome aboard, and have some rep for posting a map in your first post! And a very nice map it is, too. I love the style!

Guild Novice

Thanks for the kind words Gidde.

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Nice!! I have a soft spot for orphanages as my D+D charecter grew up in the Free Boys Home in Greyhawk.. Have some rep for a great map in a first post
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Wow, that's really nice. Can't wait to see more.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Firstly, Welcome to the Guild, The Mappiest Place on the Web

Secondly, now that the formalities are out of the way, I would suggest starting a WIP (Work In Progress) thread in the Towns/Cities Forum. This would get more C/C and give you a place to ask any questions that you may have in order to finish this map.

Thirdly, Looking good My only comment after a quick look is that the enclosure walls seem to fade into the rest od the background. Sort of giving me the impression that the orphans were free to come and go....I would make the fence and wall as sharp as the rest of the building. I would leave the building to the north as is, but make its south wall sharp as well.

Hope this helps.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Novice

Thanks for the comments Korash. I was considering moving this map to the Town/Cities forum but wasn't sure if it was appropriate to post the map in two locations. I thought it might be considered bad form. Now that you mention this though, I am going to do this in hopes that I get more feedback.

I'm glad you pointed out the issue with the fence because while it looks fine on my tv monitor, I have no way of knowing how it looks on other peoples monitors. I will make the change (as well as a few other tweaks) and I hope you have a chance to check out the WIP in the new thread and let me know if its better.

Welcome to the Guild!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave