Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metro City...

Default Metro City...

I figured since I JUST joined. I would show what I have been working on.

The maps you are about to see are my creation of a Fictional Modern City for a Super Hero Universe (Though it could likely be used for anything in the modern world).

I chose the area because of the vast amounts of water around it and this location in New Jersey seemed perfect (Particularly for a Super Hero world... Close to Wash DC & New York).

I am probably going to show you the completed map (well, as complete as it is now). Though I may post the original template map later on (Which will show you the amount of work I did)

I do realize these maps do not have a lot of clarity (Due primarily to me shrinking them and pixel issues - originally they were indeed sharper - just unwieldy).
    It does do exactly what I need it to for the game I am presently using it in.
    I have to say I do love how the general (Modified) layout from the original area turned out (using satellite imagery).
    I have some nicely detailed blown up areas worked on (Specifically three). Though I may post them at some later date.

Anyhow...
    Here she is... My Metro City, New Jersey (Mapped over Ocean City, Somers Point, Beesley's Point and various empty islands).

Here is a micro of it (Though I would honestly suggest using the link after the micro pic to look at the full image)

That you can of course balloon up to the 'still' monstrous one.
    Though this link lets you skip the Photobucket screen and flat out shows the larger map.
    http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...TYareasMAP.jpg

The Above image I also have with nothing on it (No indicator numbers).
    You can see the unmodified area that I have yet to get at on the map (and for the moment deemed unimportant to me) in the upper right hand corner. Where it looks extremely dark (Which a lot of the islands had a similar look).

A lot of trial and error went into trying to retain some detail and heighten the colors.
    I wasn't nearly as successful as I would have liked to have been.

BUT... like I already said. I have been highlighting certain areas, blowing them up and increasing the detail.
    So it still works as a general 'YOU ARE HERE!" map. Heh!

It could certainly look better. But it isn't bad for my first time trying to make something of that level (That wasn't hand drawn).

That's it.
    My first entry into this forum.

G7
    Click here to read AGE OF HEROES: NEW BEGINNING story so far - http://s4.zetaboards.com/KaijuGalaxy/topic/8040985/ or try AOH: MEANWHILE... - http://s4.zetaboards.com/KaijuGalaxy...66/1/?x=90#new

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

First, have some rep for posting your first map!

That's actually not *that* big. In fact, I want to zoom in more! It certainly looks realistic. It's very detailed for the scale, and like you said, it's a good overview map. I'd like to see the area maps as you work on them, make sure you post em up!

Guild Master Facebook Connected jtougas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very Cool !! Metro City just has that "superhero" feel to it. Repped
    I am the breath of Dragons...The Song of Mountains...The Stories of Rivers....The Heart of Cities.... I am A Cartographer....

Finished Maps
    Kingdom Of Shendenflar Campaign Setting (WIP)

Everything I post is free for use and redistribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence, except where noted otherwise in the thread.

Okay. Well maybe it isn't that big. But it certainly seemed big to me! LOL
    The original was truly monstrous. Right after I shrunk it. I realized I should have kept the larger map (Especially after all the work I had done on the original only to lose a lot of detail due to the pixel issue).

I didn't use anything fancy to create it (This will probably make some of you cringe... but I used Fastcapture and the simple Paint Program - obviously nothing elaborate).
    The players in the RPG seem to love it.

I will show how I personally have highlighted areas in my own special way.

This first image is a developing section from the main map above (right next to the number 7) in a brownish looking area called the "Burn".
    A character is developing the area for use and he has a secret base underneath it (long story).
    Anyhow. I wanted to show the difference and change with the area (Which I haven't laid on top of the primary map as of yet).
    I am also big BIG on images to give a feel for things. Which the below will show you. I do indeed have a larger map of the construction zone. Most of the buildings though shown. Are still being completed.

Anyhow... here is the "Burn" (located again, on the right of point 7 on the big map in my initial post).

The original mapping of the new area.

Next is an example I made right after I created Metro City and someone was curious how I did it. So I showed them using a highlight of a portion called Drag Island (where an important laboratory called Alpha Labs or the Alpha Institute of Super Human Studies is located - I know a lot of that is just general blah blah).
    On this next pic I show via a map where in New Jersey Metro City is located.
    I show a VERY small original template map as well as an original small street map.
    A tiny image of my then mostly completed Metro City.
    Then Drag Island highlighted with the buildings more square.
    I did originally want to make the streets black or gray. But they blended in with the buildings. So for my purposes. I just needed to show where the roadways were in that district. So I went with the least used color on the map.

So here is the Drag Island District of Metro City.

I haven't had as much time to work on the map as I would like. Though I have a rather large descriptive Key of the areas in general and the important features. Though nothing is actually pin pointed on the maps in relation to the Key (unlike Alpha Labs in the above).
    Besides... Modern Cities are so large and complex, it is hard sometimes to figure out what you should list and not list.

I think for my first truly hard core endeavor at it (Though certainly not my first maps). It is satisfactory.

G7

P.S. jtougas, That is the best part. It does have a very Superhero feel to it. But I am sure it could easily be used for any number of other things as well. But for me... It IS a Superhero City! LOL
    Click here to read AGE OF HEROES: NEW BEGINNING story so far - http://s4.zetaboards.com/KaijuGalaxy/topic/8040985/ or try AOH: MEANWHILE... - http://s4.zetaboards.com/KaijuGalaxy...66/1/?x=90#new

"I like what you've done with the place !" I had to bring up maps of the real Ocean City to see what you've added and modded. Cool! So if the mundane version is 15,000 - 20,000 population for the area shown, what's the population of your Metro City?

I know what you mean about that feeling right after you shrunk your file... for me it's more often extent than zoom level, but same thing: Aiiiiiieeee, I have later thought, now I need those 200 pixels to the east!

Do please let us see more detail maps as you produce them.

Funny that you should ask. jbgibson

I am presently working on the what on the big map (or the one from my first post) is area's 7/7a. That is the seedy part of town and also a major area that is being redeveloped. The Metro Tower image is from that area.
    Already I have tightened up all the buildings surrounding most of the area, put in clear pics of warehouses. Ect.

I am still using satellite images to produce the building rooftops... it is rather meticulous to do. But I want it to look as much like genuine rooftops as I can.
    I actually have an incredibly detailed image of Beijing China from satellite that I am using to for rooftop samples.
    I am going to see if I can get a clearer example of the rooftops of NY. Though the one I have of Beijing is so huge and detailed I really need little else.

So there will definitely be more that I will show you guys.

Laters
    G7

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

That looks very cool, and very fun! Thanks for posting, looking forward to more!

What a coincidence. I have an superhero RPG in that area ... http://cityofsupers.com

I never did finish the map

Well I personally was looking for some place between both New York and Washington... and for something to trash if I wanted.
    I never expected it to be so detailed or become such an elaborate effort.
    The first time I showed it. The response was quite flattering.

I am as proud as I can be with this... especially when you consider I am only using, Fastcapture, Paint and some use of my Picture It! Prem 10 (Which is quite cool as I can turn the images around or building tops and fit them into position where I need them using Picture It!).

I am actually going to show with my next post the entire Longport Somers Point. It actually turned out quite nice. There are still details I wish I could put into it. BUT... for what I am using it for. It works.

So töff. Did you use the Ocean City/Somers Point/Mamora area? I went briefly into the site you state above and didn't find a map (Other than the Easter Sea Board one).

If you have a map of the same area. I would love to see it.

Cya
    G7

Okay. Well I looked it over and it appears to be about as done as I am going to get it.

To start off with. Here is the original map I posted of Metro City.

This is the same map. Only I tried to highlight the streets a bit more (The numbers are not on this original image of Metro City).
    It looks nice. Gives a clear indication of the roadways through Metro City. Both the original ones and the City environments that I added.
    Anyhow. Here is the highlighted roadway one.

-------NEXT------

I mentioned in my last post that I was going to further highlight an area, showing more detail with the buildings. As in my last post. I am pretty pleased with how it all worked out in the end.
    I don't have a scale chart. But I am sure I could easily figure it out from the original Map (above).

First I am going to show you my original area as it appears on my Metro City Map (again, Above).
    Then show you the one I expanded the detail on.

So here they are.
    Longport Somers Point - before

Longport Somers Point - expanded detail.

With this last one you can actually go up and look at the difference between the Metro Tower image I posted and the former refitted Burn area where Metro Tower is to this new map. I think the overall clarity is much better.

SO enjoy people!
    Hope you like!

G7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast